The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two ahsupply 96 watt kits(192 watts total) over my 100 gallon tank. The maintaince that i have as far as fertilizing and pruning is not a problem to me. If I decided to get two more ah supply 55 watt kits, this would put me around 300 watts.

i have pressurized co2, and i dose dry ferts of nitrate at 1/2 tsp, and phosphates, csm+b, and potassium at 1/4 tsp.

i do a 50% water change every week.

I was just wondering what kind of changes will happen to my dosing regimen and what other changes would i expect to see?

is this a good idea?:help:

·
Registered
596 Posts
You would probably have to double your ferts. I'm assuming you dose that amount 3-4 days a week? Also you would want to increase you bpm for CO2 unless you are on a controller. Next you'll want to sharpen your scissors because you'll be trimming more often. Other than that nothing should really change. Maybe not double your ferts but definitely more.

Brian

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've jsut lowered my light from 4 wpg to 2.4. I am just sick of having to do a complete replant practically once a week and plantbrain has me convinced that I could grow the same plants albeit slower with half the light.

I have toninas and other "high light" plants. The tank on high test is just a huge amt of work.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do you mean complete replant??

Another alternative i could do is get two more 36 watt kits...which would be 2.6 or 2.7 wpg. Would that really make a difference from 192watts??

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone????

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
according to rex and others, the same wpg rule doesn't apply to tanks across the board. larger tanks require less light. think at 1.75-2 wpg or less should do you just fine.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im at 1.92 wpg right now and i cant really grow high light plants that i want to grow...

im going to post a picture of my lighting set up here shortly.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Rach, Is your tank 6'?
FWIW, I was growing lots of low- to medium light plants with 2X96 on my 125 with a 1.5 hour boost with a second set of 2X96.
I think the smaller lights (55s/36s) will give you lighter/darker areas. If you like that.... great.
I'm not a fan of uneven lighting, I would probably go for a second set of 2 X 96, start them for 1/2 an hour a day for a week, then add another 1/2 hour, (making sure to up your dosing!), and continue this till you can grow what you like.

Just make sure to keep things in balance. Lights go up, ferts go up, get some nutrient sponges until the plants adjust to new lighting.

HTH

·
Registered
558 Posts
I like the looks of a well lit tank. Also, some plants are easier for me to grow good under higher light. I have 330 watts over my 75 gal (2x6700k, 2x10000k, and 2x 9325k) and I can grow anything I want in it. Keep up with your dosing, good CO2, levels,and a moderate photo period. 300 watts over your 100 gal should allow you to grow the plants you want to grow. ymmv

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i think im going to get 2 more sets of the ah supply 55 watt kits...yay!! 3wpg....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when i get the extra two sets of 55watt kits, should i keep the total amount of lights on all day or do the timer where some of the lights come on at noon for a burst of light?

this is what my lights will look like under my canopy:

96 96 96 55 55
55 55 96 96 96

My canopy is 5 ft across, the 96 watt kits are 3 ft and the 55 watt kits are 2 ft.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bump.........

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what is the benefit/purpose of burst lighting?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi im bringing back this old thread because I actually just got in my AH lighting. I ended up ordering 2x55watt light kits. To update on my dosing regimen...it is now as follows:
1/4 tsp of kno3, phosphate, and potassium on sunday, tuesday, and thurs.
1/3 tsp of csm+b on monday, weds. and friday.
I dose nothing on saturday.
water change on sunday.

So what should I dose once I add these lights? I will be adding alot more plants into my tank to reduce algae outbreaks.

Also, as i asked previously, what is the benefit/purpose of burst lighting?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm no expert on what you should do with dosing, but I imagine you are going to need to practically double everything, especially after adding more plants, all of the increased uptake might induce deficiencies faster without enough of a dosing increase.

The burst method emulates the brighter part of midday and you have the advantage of being able to manipulate your lighting potential when you have heavy wattage, like putting plants and algae on a reduced light diet, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, well what should I do? Just have all the lights turn on at one time or do burst lighting?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts