The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 15 young RCS in a 5g, and I just can't figure out how much to feed them, without over feeding. The tank is just starting to show signs of algae growth since I added more intense lighting. Since I got them I've just been breaking up algae wafers and giving them about 1/5 of one each day. Every few days I'll throw in a veggie of some type instead of the algae wafer. I know I need to mix up their diet a little more, but right now I just want to figure out how much to feed them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Some crab foods contain copper... which can be deadly to shrimp.

They will eat pretty much anything. I feed my babies a little flake of fish food. It is easier to measure and also easy to see how long it takes them to eat it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I feed 1/2 of an algae wafer every other day. This is in a 10g with about 50-60 RCS (many are just tiny babies). The days in between I'll drop a shrimp pellet or two in.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feed 1/2 of an algae wafer every other day. This is in a 10g with about 50-60 RCS (many are just tiny babies). The days in between I'll drop a shrimp pellet or two in.
Hehe. Feeding shrimp to shrimp :). I'll just stick with veggies, algae wafers and some shrimp pellets every now and then.

The only crab food at the LFS has trace amounts of copper in it :-( AND they'd never heard of RCS.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The Hikari stuff contains no copper.
I started checking the labels on all my fish food to keep copper out. Even got some shimp biscuits from Rain and made some of my own, too.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I feed mine a rotating diet.

Day 1: 1 Hikari Crab Cuisine pellet per 20 or so shrimp (I usually toss in 3)
Day 2: 1/2 Hikari Algae Wafer chopped up into 3 or 4 pieces
Day 3: Boiled spinach. I toss it in there and pull out the uneaten portion 8 hours later.

Of the 3 of these, they seem to enjoy the spinach the most.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
spinach also gives a small supliment of iodine that shrimp need. Though I learned from Dave that too much spinach can cause plecos to get kidney stones. So if your plecos much on it too, you may have to only feed it once a week or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts