The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6g office nano, 20g cube, 29g cherry shrimp, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g in the works
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a thriving colony of Cherry Shrimp in a 29g low tech tank. I'm starting to get a bunch of green dust algae and I'd like to know from more experienced shrimp keepers on how much should I clean and how much should I just leave alone. I'm only cleaning the front glass and a monthly squeeze out of the sponge filter plus weekly water changes of about a third of the water volume. I'm not a big fan of my hardscape being green, but the shrimp love it and so...

Botany Rectangle Plant Grass Aquatic plant

· Administrator
17,898 Posts
I'm not a big fan of my hardscape being green, but the shrimp love it and so...
If you really dislike it, you can use a toothbrush or sponge to scrub it off.

I'm of the opinion that it looks good in a shrimp tank, though, and ends up being okay if it's just on a few areas of hardscape like that. Never lasts very long in any my shrimp tanks, so it may be something that disappears relatively quickly for you.

What's your lighting situation? Cutting that down a bit may help eliminate it.

· Registered
6g office nano, 20g cube, 29g cherry shrimp, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g in the works
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you really dislike it, you can use a toothbrush or sponge to scrub it off.

I'm of the opinion that it looks good in a shrimp tank, though, and ends up being okay if it's just on a few areas of hardscape like that. Never lasts very long in any my shrimp tanks, so it may be something that disappears relatively quickly for you.

What's your lighting situation? Cutting that down a bit may help eliminate it.
Thanks! Know I can clean it off with a toothbrush... I'm just wondering if I should? I may leave the hardscape & back glass a little green and scrape the sides down? It is good for the shrimp. I have a Fluval 3.0 on there at 40% max at it's brightest for a total of 8 hours.

· Administrator
17,898 Posts
Thanks! Know I can clean it off with a toothbrush... I'm just wondering if I should? I may leave the hardscape & back glass a little green and scrape the sides down? It is good for the shrimp. I have a Fluval 3.0 on there at 40% max at it's brightest for a total of 8 hours.
How long has the dust algae been present? Just a few weeks? Months? If it's been longer, has it spread beyond the rock and glass to the point that it's a hassle for you?

If it's been going on for an extended period of time, combined with your dislike of it, it could be a good idea to explore mitigation efforts. But if it's a relatively new thing and you're okay with how it currently exists, it'll probably be fine to leave it.

I like the way it looks, so take my point of view with a grain of salt for sure.

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long has the dust algae been present? Just a few weeks? Months? If it's been longer, has it spread beyond the rock and glass to the point that it's a hassle for you?

If it's been going on for an extended period of time, combined with your dislike of it, it could be a good idea to explore mitigation efforts. But if it's a relatively new thing and you're okay with how it currently exists, it'll probably be fine to leave it.

I like the way it looks, so take my point of view with a grain of salt for sure.
About a week to 10 days maybe. I'll leave it and maybe try scheduling the lights for 7 hours.

· Administrator
17,898 Posts
About a week to 10 days maybe. I'll leave it and maybe try scheduling the lights for 7 hours.
I think that's a good plan since it's relatively new for you. Though, if it gets out of control or you just can't tolerate it anymore, there are obviously some other steps you can take.

What kind of snails do you have in the tank, if any? They tend to make quick work of this sort of thing as well.

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of snails do you have in the tank, if any? They tend to make quick work of this sort of thing as well.
Bladder snails for the most part. Not as many as other tanks, because there are sooo many shrimp here.

· Administrator
17,898 Posts
Bladder snails for the most part. Not as many as other tanks, because there are sooo many shrimp here.
They're probably one of the best when it comes to this type of algae. Along with Pond Snails. At least in terms of snails that can easily reproduce in freshwater. Ramshorn are pretty great at fine surface/dust algae, as well.

Really like the way your tank looks and being able to see so many active shrimp is great.

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really like the way your tank looks and being able to see so many active shrimp is great.
Thanks. I really like it too. I was inspired by a YouTube video. Other than the substrate behind the rock it was all stuff I had on hand. I pulled the two pieces of Valisnaria from the front yesterday and moved them to the back.

· Premium Member
384 Posts
Pick up some snails or lower your light duration or intensity. You have slow growing plants. You might run into GSA/cyano down the line since your lights are strong but the plants are slow growing.

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pick up some snails or lower your light duration or intensity. You have slow growing plants. You might run into GSA/cyano down the line since your lights are strong but the plants are slow growing.
I'm not as much worried here about how to balance the tank and remove algae as I am with whether I should since the shrimp like to eat it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts