The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been admiring pea puffers for a while now. I have read that they should be in 5 gallons or bigger. Do they need that much for the space, or just for water quality. I've been pondering setting up a 2 gallon tank with a 5 gallon sump filter, so there would be 6-7 gallons of water circulating through. Do you think the 2 gallon tank would be enough swimming space for a pea puffer?

·
Registered
373 Posts
They don't do that much "swimming" but rather exploring, grazing. I was told they can get "bored" easily and become inactive.

Mines spent most of their time hiding somewhere in the mosses. If I wiggle a snail around one would magically appear out of the bush.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
As noted: They investigate their surroundings, very curious fish. In a tank smaller than about 5 gallons there just is not the space to keep them interested and busy. If you can handle a 10 gallon you could try 3: 1M + 2F. Have plenty of plants, rocks, driftwood etc. so it is a nice place for them to have fun.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As noted: They investigate their surroundings, very curious fish. In a tank smaller than about 5 gallons there just is not the space to keep them interested and busy. If you can handle a 10 gallon you could try 3: 1M + 2F. Have plenty of plants, rocks, driftwood etc. so it is a nice place for them to have fun.
It is pretty much impossible to sex them at the size that LFS sell them though. I have mine for a few months and I only know for sure that the biggest one is a male. The others their stripe pattern is still not sharp enough to tell and no eye wrinkle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spot where I want to put the tank is in a 12" gap between my desk and file cabinet, so that is the main restriction to the size of the tank. If They really do need a larger tank then I'll have to pick a different fish. So boredom is the main reason they need a bigger tank? Would it help that I spend mot of the day right next to the spot, so it could get a lot of interaction with me?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The spot where I want to put the tank is in a 12" gap between my desk and file cabinet, so that is the main restriction to the size of the tank. If They really do need a larger tank then I'll have to pick a different fish. So boredom is the main reason they need a bigger tank? Would it help that I spend mot of the day right next to the spot, so it could get a lot of interaction with me?
Could you fit a 20 or 12 long in the space?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you are experienced enough to keep the water quality stable using the 5 gallon sump then you have one thing going for you. Temperature is another issue in such a small tank. Large fluctuations in temperature are a killer for any fish. So if you're climate controlled then you have another thing going for you.

The biggest issue in my opinion is the size of the tank. 2 gallons is tiny, even for a tiny fish. Pea Puffers tend to live longer and healthier lives in larger tanks. I've kept them in a few different set ups. I could not keep them alive for longer than 6 months in my 5 gallon set up. I tried 3 times thinking I could fix the issue. I kept multiple pea puffers alive between 2-3 years in a 29 and 72 gallon set up. The pea puffer in my 29 gallon set up was hands down my favorite pet of all time. We had a connection! Lol It was a very gentle puffer. Never nipped or so much as bumped another fish in that tank. The only other beings on this earth that have been as happy to see me as that puffer was are my children and my parents...... She lived to be 3 years old.

If you decide to go with a pea puffer in that set up I hope you get as lucky as I did and find a puffer that you can enjoy and connect with for many years. That being said, it is not an ideal set up for a pea puffer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could you fit a 20 or 12 long in the space?
I'm not sure, I might be bumping it with my chair.

Maybe a cube tank? I have a couple of cube tanks that are just under 12" on each side, and nearly 12 gallons.
That's a good idea. I might need to look more into that.

If you are experienced enough to keep the water quality stable using the 5 gallon sump then you have one thing going for you. Temperature is another issue in such a small tank. Large fluctuations in temperature are a killer for any fish. So if you're climate controlled then you have another thing going for you.
I Actually don't have any experience with using a sump filter, but I only know of one way to gain it:wink2: I was thinking about the heating issue, and my thought was to actually run the heater in the larger volume of water, in the sump. I thought it might cut down on the fluctuations.
The biggest issue in my opinion is the size of the tank. 2 gallons is tiny, even for a tiny fish. Pea Puffers tend to live longer and healthier lives in larger tanks. I've kept them in a few different set ups. I could not keep them alive for longer than 6 months in my 5 gallon set up. I tried 3 times thinking I could fix the issue. I kept multiple pea puffers alive between 2-3 years in a 29 and 72 gallon set up. The pea puffer in my 29 gallon set up was hands down my favorite pet of all time. We had a connection! Lol It was a very gentle puffer. Never nipped or so much as bumped another fish in that tank. The only other beings on this earth that have been as happy to see me as that puffer was are my children and my parents...She lived to be 3 years old.
If I knew for sure I could get a docile one I would love to have one in my 30 gallon, but as of now I fear for the other fishes safety.
If you decide to go with a pea puffer in that set up I hope you get as lucky as I did and find a puffer that you can enjoy and connect with for many years. That being said, it is not an ideal set up for a pea puffer.
This is what I was afraid of, Thanks for the info, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The method I use for picking pea puffers is not foolproof but I was able to get a few that were gentle this way. You have to be able to see the puffers in person first off. I watch the tank for a good long while. Long enough to see which puffers are buzzing around getting nippy or showing aggresion otherwise. Those are the guys I don't want. The one/s I want are the ones that look healthy and plump, but are very obviously trying to stay away from the rowdy crew. It's a pretty cool thing to see and recognize in person. I was just at one of my lfs a few weeks ago and witnessed this exact behavior. I had my eye on a few mild mannered looking pea puffers but I just restarted my tank so I wasn't able to buy them. I do plan on going back as soon as my tank is established enough. These puffers were a bit more mature. Not adults but not babies either. I tried this method at a different store with much younger puffers and every single one of them was a littler terror, even eating eachother. My guess, they were very hungry. You want to buy a puffer that looks well fed and well taken care of.

Like I said it's not foolproof. I've had a few bad apples that masqueraded as mild mannered. It is far better than ordering online and possibly gettting a terror, which I have also done. Lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
Have you ever bred them?

Sounds like they only produce a few eggs at a time, so raising the young isn't the hassle it can be with other fish.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No, I never tried to breed them. I had experience with figure 8 and green spot puffers before I tried pea puffers. Fish with a bunch of bite marks in their fins is not a pretty site. I never did manage to find an non fin nipping fish from either of those species. That experience led me to a one puffer per tank rule to mitigate the damage. Plus I was living in L.A. using tap water that was not fit for any fish to breed in when I discovered the pea puffer.

I may try to keep a male and female in my new planted set up and if they breed they breed. We'll see. I'll keep it updated in this thread if I go that route.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a baby pea puffer in a 2 gallon. She was okay for about a month, and then she began pacing the glass and doing rather OCD behaviors, so I upgraded to an 8 gallon, and she stopped the pacing. They're extremely curious, and they like to explore and investigate things, whether it's floating plants or snail shells or watching you cook (mine does this every day), and they definitely need the space to roam. I highly recommend looking at the larger tank options.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Can raise a child in a closet, or an eagle in a bird cage, but they might thrive with a bit more room.?
When one consider's food's and waste from fish, entering glass box of water with some frequency,larger volume of water is more forgiving.
Gotta stay on top of maint in smaller volumes of water as evidenced by the sheer number's of Betta's that are killed off regularly and replaced with a new victim.
10 gal would be bout right for pea puffer IMHO

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the space where I'd like to put the tank. I put the label pack there just to help give a sense of size.

The silver pole on the left is the edge of my desk, and on the right is my file cabinet. If I put a tank here I'll move the plastic storage case, the labels are on, and build a stand for the tank to sit on. The other thing I could do is put the tank on the glass top to the file cabinet. The down sides to that would be losing the horizontal space (which usually becomes a junk pile) and possibly the glass giving under the weight. This is a home office, so I don't have weekend worries.
This is the one I have, FWIW:
High Clarity Low Iron Glass Cube HCC-14, 11.33 Gallons
You can probably find one cheaper if you don't need high clarity glass.
The more I think about it, I think I might be able to make something like this work. Do you have a lid on yours? With where it is I would definitely need a tight lid on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts