The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a breeding tank of just cherries, somewhere about 100 of them, most of them being less than 2 months old. they are feeding on algea but how much food should I put in the tank. I put a put maybe 10 or so flakes as of now. its hard to tell if its all being eaten.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Try getting something like Hikari Crab cuisine, or an algae wafer so that you can monitor more easily how much you need to feed them. In a 20 gallon tank with 100 cherry shrimp, I think you could feed a lot more. Just keep up with the water changes.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Try getting something like Hikari Crab cuisine, or an algae wafer so that you can monitor more easily how much you need to feed them. In a 20 gallon tank with 100 cherry shrimp, I think you could feed a lot more. Just keep up with the water changes.
I'm not sure I can agree. You don't know much about the tank they are in...

Do you have a picture? Is there a lot of algae in it? Do they go crazy when food goes in? Usually you can leave a good planted tank alone for a month with fish in it and not feed them... so shrimp I would think would be much longer.

If your dead set on feeding them just put the flakes up to the front of the tank so you can watch it. I personally (when I feed flakes) Put in enough to last for the whole day then give them the rest of the week to clean the tank up. Note this is a 55g and not a smaller tank so I would do a smaller portion and possibly more than once a week depending on how much other stuff is in the tank.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well, I was thinking that he had a breeding tank, so feeding could be done to maximize the growth rate of his shrimp. Personally, I feed my shrimp once a day.

And the tank is 20 gallons with 100 shrimp. Is the tank heavily planted? What filter?

And I'm guessing that 100 cherry shrimp in a 20 gallon would clean up algae in a flash. And as I've read from a discussion here, is that the shrimplets do not survive as well in a planted tank as opposed to a non planted. I'm assuming that his tank is planted, mainly because he is here. So to ensure good survival of the shrimplets, I recommended feeding once a day. Unless you have continued this for a long time and all has been fine, then don't change what it is you are doing. Consistency is important.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the tank is primarily a breeding tank. algea is left alone and light is high to promote growth. they are constantly grazing on the glass and plants. the glass is actually kinda clean since they are always munching on it. tank is lightly planted. 2 small cambomba, some java moss and an apontogen. no co2, no ferts. why whould you say a planted tank is worse for shrimp babies?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts