The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now i have my java moss in a small rubbermaid container with an airstone. it has been there for a few weeks now since i had to break down my tank to get rid of the snails. well, obviously there are still 100's of snails and snail eggs in the java moss. i was thinking i would put some salt in the tank and leave it for about 5 minutes and then rinse it all and put it in fresh water again. is this a good idea?

my plan is to mix some salt with water and stir it in. there is about 2 gallons, maybe 3, of water in the container with the moss. is 2 tbsp too much? i want to kill those darn things!

is 5 minutes with the salt a good amount of time or is it too short/long?

thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
bad idea.

There is a dip though.. that apparently works good...

people call it a pp dip...u can get it at walmart apparently.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.

want to explain why it is a bad idea?

i don't have access to walmart. or anything for that matter. only mail order right now.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You can salt dip the plants and stuff. I wouldn't put it in the tank directly but if you have to you can I guess as long as there are no fish in the tank. You have to put in a lot of salt though, like 1-2 tablespoon / gallon.

Snails aren't that bad. If you don't feed the tank, they'll starve off.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks.

the plants aren't in my tank right now. i just set the tank back up and right now it is just water and sand. i have to cycle it again before getting fish. i put the fish that were in there in my other tank.

the plants are in a small rubbermaid container (see first post :))

i have done everything with this tank. this was the last straw. i was taking out every snail i saw, then i started scooping out the snails in the morning when they were gathered around an algae wafer, i don't really think a snail trap will do much more than that.

the problem is that the only plants that were in this tank was tons of java moss. i could't see or get at even 1/10 the snails in there. there were eggs everywhere and unless i wanted to pull out all the java moss there was nothing much i could do more than what i was doing.

it got to the point where they broke my filter and the tank was just over run. they are bladder snails.

i had to break everything down.

the snails have been in the rubbermaid container with no food for almost 4 weeks now. they are still going strong by what i saw today when i looked in there.

i HATE them. this is the 2nd time i had to tear down a tank because of these stupid snails.

i wash all the plants before i put them in there. i guess it is just not enough. i guess i will be doing a salt dip with everything from now on!

maybe i will get some snail eating loaches for the tank this time. i couldn't before because i had amano shrimp in there. now they are in my other tank.

i really don't want to put the moss back in there with any chance of getting snails back in that tank.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, i can get bleach. we have a grocery store here but not much more. i will look that up, thanks. will i just mix that up and then dip the plants in it and rinse or do they have to sit in it for a little while?

i can't get assassin snails, snails are illegal to sell in newfoundland. they are considered an invasive species.

·
Registered
960 Posts
yes, i can get bleach. we have a grocery store here but not much more. i will look that up, thanks. will i just mix that up and then dip the plants in it and rinse or do they have to sit in it for a little while?

i can't get assassin snails, snails are illegal to sell in newfoundland. they are considered an invasive species.
I can't comment on the way to use the bleach. I just remember reading it once. I don't even know if it's really advisable. That's why I recommend you looking it up and reading because I don't want you to just take my advice and it be wrong. I'll see if I can find the info and post back.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for your help.

i tried to find some info after i posted too but didn't find much about bleach (i didn't do a huge search - i had to walk the doggies). i think i will stick with salt. i think salt for a short amount of time shouldn't harm my plants but should hopefully do the trick for the snails.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, what a yucky problem! I can attest that bleach is a bad idea. I tried it and lost my plants. Possibly a really weak solution could be safe, but I don't know that it would be effective. Potassium permanganate, as said above, is supposed to get rid of snails.

Good luck.

Julia

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.