The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How long do shrimp carry their eggs?...ghost shrimp.

Taken a couple days ago...the eyes are not visible yet...

Taken yesterday...can't make out eyes in photo...eyes visible in eggs to the naked eye...

·
Registered
644 Posts
How long do shrimp carry their eggs?...ghost shrimp.
I don't know about ghost shrimp specifically, but most small shrimp are about 25-32 days.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It also depends on what kind of "ghost" shrimp you have. I believe most ghost shrimp go thru a larvae stage and many need brackish water to develop. There are those that grow/hatch in fresh water too. So once again, it depends on what type of ghost shrimp you have.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what type she is...I rescued her from Walmart!

Brackish water...that is kinda salty right? I have snails in the tank with her...rams horn, and a couple of pond (I like the rams, so I think I will start culling the ponds out). I knew that Ghosts are hard to breed, I was just trying to get a jump start with a berried female...if they don't develop, at least this ghost has a good home.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Yeah Ghosts are hard to breed. Most of the ones you find in the USA don't require brakish water to breed in, The time they hold their eggs I have no idea can't remember... (maybe if i wasn't lightheaded from meds from being sick i could but can't at the moment:mad: ) I assume its about the same. I've bred them before with some sucess...

-Andrew

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Ghosts are hard to breed. Most of the ones you find in the USA don't require brakish water to breed in, The time they hold their eggs I have no idea can't remember... (maybe if i wasn't lightheaded from meds from being sick i could but can't at the moment:mad: ) I assume its about the same. I've bred them before with some sucess...

-Andrew

Andrew...hope you get to feeling better soon...sucks to be sick...my daughter has the flu bad (luckly it is spring break here).

I don't have any substrate in this tank (betta spawning tank), but I will if I need to...or I can put her in a 5.5 (6g) tank at my work...it contains a male and a female guppy and one female betta...I am not sure which is a better tank. I want to try to spawn my betta again in a few weeks. I am thinking of getting another 10g tank just for shrimp and guppy fry.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Eggs have eyes

The ghost shrimp loves betta pellets (she will even quit eating microworms for betta pellets)...I gave her three just in front of her to keep her busy...she is so close to the glass...I can see 2 little black dots inside each egg...this has to be a good sign right? I am just so excited!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
photos look good, either they're new, or They where bloked before... (nvm, just reread title)...

The first picture looks like they're fairly new. The second looks like you could have between days, and two weeks to go. Its not an exact science, so you never really know.

Those look to be the FW breeders. Keep plenty of nice and healthy dirty moss in there!!!

-Andrew

·
Registered
889 Posts
Congratulations I hope you are succesful and I would follow F_N's advice.

And I think you should keep the Ghost in the current tank. Any larvae and then shrimplets will be eaten by the guppies and the Betta.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts