The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused as to how much light I have on my tank if its high or low light. I originally thought I had about 1.4 wpg but was told that doesn't apply since I have t-5 bulbs. I currently have a Coralife aqualight with one daylight 10,000k bulb and a colormax bulb 6700k both are 14watts. I have a 20 gallon high tank.

·
Registered
183 Posts
id kinda like to know this since I THINK i just bought the same fixture off amazon. LOL!

Corallife Freshwater Aqualight 24" Double T-5 Strip W/14W Colormax & 6700K Plant Bulb

I think I have the same tank size too...considering almost 10 years ago the only 20G I could find were 20G Longs, mine is the opposite as well. It is definatly more "boxy".

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
My guess is that you have medium intensity, near the high end of that light range. This is assuming that T5NO bulbs give about half or a bit more intensity than T5HO bulbs, and that the reflectors you have are not quite as good as those in T5HO fixtures.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have read that t5no bulbs are slightly higher than traditional floresents to 1.5x higher. I would guess it is somewhere in the middle at equivilant wattage, I don't have the equipment to make a comparision. I was around your range with a 29 (I am guessing the height is similar) and wasn't restricted to "low light" plants. I don't know how well "high light" plants would work but most everything worked, not just the Java Ferns and Anubius people told me I would only be able to grow.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When you use a good CO2 system you can grow most plants, but slowly, with lower light intensity than is normally recommended. I think we should give much more attention and priority to getting that CO2 system and a lot less attention to picking a high tech light system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts