·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Aquarium I am planning to get is a shallow cube, dimensions:
25 x 25 x 12

My question for you guys is, will this fixture be enough
two bulbs, 24 inches each, 48W total

My concern is that it will light up on directly below it (see third image)

Tank Im supposed to get:

The light im buying:

My concern:

Does anyone else have a shallow cube, what kind of lights do you have on?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Two single bulb T8 lights spaced about a foot apart would light the tank very well. Unless you suspend a T5 fixture more than a foot above the tank, it will be more light than can easily be managed. With such a low tank, a square array of LEDs would light the tank very well, suspended high above the tank, with optics on the LEDs to avoid spillover.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What are your goals for the tank?

I'd be tempted to use a 70 watt halide. Small, powerful, and much more natural in appearance.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Two single bulb T8 lights spaced about a foot apart would light the tank very well. Unless you suspend a T5 fixture more than a foot above the tank, it will be more light than can easily be managed. With such a low tank, a square array of LEDs would light the tank very well, suspended high above the tank, with optics on the LEDs to avoid spillover.
another +1 frys has led engines you could easily use for that tank for very very cheap and still get high light out of maybe 2 for a total of like 30 bucks

in the end it will be your preference i love the effect halides give but the leds from frys are an unbeatable value considering they don't run hot and yoiu wont need much to hook them up

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ shrimpNewbie - from great lakes aquariums here in Detroit, MI
is this what you mean by the LEDs: http://www.frys.com/product/6175509
Doesnt look likes it has a case
Plus not sure about the kelvins for this

@booger - the reason why I went for this light is that its the cheapest one ever, 40$, I was thinking about going to home depot and doing a DIY lighting, apparently this will be cheaper! Halides are good, but too expensive!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, any more out there?

oh and thats not my tank, Im getting the same thing, but w/o the overflow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts