The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per topic, what should i be looking out for? Would be nice if someone could recommand a specific brand as well =). Also, when can i expect java moss to show signs of growth? Been 5 days since I bought a handful, and while they are not dying, they are not showing signs of growth as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've researched light requirements by looking at users tanks on the forum. The approximate light per gallon here is 2.75 for a random sampling. Some people claim too much light causes algae problems while others say that it doesn't much matter. I think you'll be pretty safe with that ratio. If you have a 'high' tank than you should bias a little higher.

Regards, bWheel

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would say to stay around 3 wpg max. Any more than that and your growth is very, and the problems escalate very quickly too if there is some imbalance.

It's certainly doable to go > 3 wpg, as you can see from many tanks here, but I personally think it's too much work.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
First we need a lot more info from you. Like mrbelvedere said what are the dimensions of the tank? Are you planning on using co2 on the tank? What kinds of plants do you want to grow? Are you planning on dosing via EI with dry ferts? You cannot get a good answer to your question with the information provided. Please let us know more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Height is 20 inches, width is 26 inches, length is 36 inches. Which comes up to about 85 gallons right? Oops my bad.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'd use a 2x96 watt fixture if using pressurized. A single bulb fixture if not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.