The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have this 40L aquarium/lamp combination and would like to know if this can be catalogued as low/medium/high lighting. Sadly the only information about the lamp is that it is led and consumes 6w of power.

Here you can find a pdf about the whole aquarium and here one about the lamp.

I am asking this because I have been introducing new plants and some work and some not. It would be better to have a better idea of the amount of light that I have and not be fumbling around with some senseless experimentation. From what I have seen it is maybe on the low end of the scala but then again the aquarium is not that big.

What is your take on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Grüße,

it will probably give you very low light. Depending on the performance you would have between 480-720lumens. While PUR might be a better measure of light, I find lumens works for LEDs quite well, given that you have a 'normal' light.

You can use the calculator here to find some guiding values:
https://www.biconeo-aquascaping.de/berechnung-led-aquarium-beleuchtung/#ledform

MfG,
duky

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Duky, I undertand that the light amount its rather low, so high light plants are out. Algae grows rather good though. What do you mean by normal light?

Should I consider getting something that produces more light? My aquarium is low tech and I have been dosing it with a bit less that the recomneded amount of excel...

Danke un Viele Grüße

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Exactly, for the lack of a more precise term --- 'normal' light would mean a full spectrum LED and not one that emits light at very narrow and specific wavelengths. For example the lumen/watt of the lamp below might be a lot less than a good 120lm/watt. However, it might produce more plant growth as it targets specific wavelengths for chlorophyll. You could try this lamp and report the results :D

TaoTronics Pflanzenlampe E27 12W LED Pflanzenlampe für Zimmerpflanzen, Blumen und Gemüse: Amazon.de: Küche & Haushalt

As to the increase of light... it depends on what you want. Looking at the tank in your signature you have plants that can survive in low light but would grow faster provided higher light and growing conditions. Higher light means more growth, more maintenance, more nutrients used, heavier plant density possible. However before upgrading the light I would look into controlling any algae problems you have now.

For such small aquariums, i found it difficult to find a budget LED lamp. I've seen decent plant growth under 2 Dennerle Nano Power LED (aprox. 1000lumens). I ended up with an ebay ADA Aquasky(but that is rather mid to high light)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.