The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says...
I'm usually pretty careful. Changing water on my 32, I don't use a python because its only a bucket out, and a bucket in. Sucked in a pretty good mouthful, hit the back of my throat and was down before I knew it (keep it clean boys!) Aside from a day or so of the runs, anybody ever have longer term issues from chugging fish juice?
..and just to help minimize the risk, I think I better kill the little microbial buggers with alcohol... Crown dark, to be precise.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
When you use your python, you don't have to suck on it to get the water out, just put the whole hose under water and get the air out of the hose and put your finger on the end and bring it to your bucket, take your finger of the end and, voila water start flowing in your bucket!!

BTW I think planted fish tank water is probably cleaner than drinking water ;) although I think mine is, actually my tank water tastes better than tap water :) Also, my cat loves to drink from my tank and drinks it every day.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I wish the hose I had was more flexible. Not a lot of free space in the tank to use that method. Difference this time is I used a white hose, because I couldn't find my clear one with the gravel vac. Not being able to see the water that was trapped in it literally sucked.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Haha, you guys are funny. Looks like growing up irrigating with tubes came in handy. :)

You don't need the entire hose full of water, enough for a foot or so out of the tank is usually enough. You can also trying covering the end lightly and pumping (maybe not recommended with carpet plants as it could possibly dislodge them).

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hey, keep the discussion clean here! ; ) I was myself thinking that planted tank water is likely healthier than my tap water, until I started to read about Myobacterium marinum, aka Fish Tuberculosis. So it seems that swallowing tank water or getting it into cuts can actually be a real and significant risk to you, and we'd usually have no idea whether or not it is present in our tanks even. Not that I'm nearly as careful as what is recommended though.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/sp/feature/index.php

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
When you use your python, you don't have to suck on it to get the water out, just put the whole hose under water and get the air out of the hose and put your finger on the end and bring it to your bucket, take your finger of the end and, voila water start flowing in your bucket!!

BTW I think planted fish tank water is probably cleaner than drinking water ;) although I think mine is, actually my tank water tastes better than tap water :) Also, my cat loves to drink from my tank and drinks it every day.
Perhaps you are confused about what a Python is, because it hooks up to a faucet and the faucet starts the suction. It also typically drains into the sink not into a bucket.

Why would tank water be cleaner than drinking water? It's going to have waste in it! And while I too have gotten mouthfuls of it when using a manual gravel vac I sure don't recommend anyone or anything other than plants drinking it on purpose. If your tank water tastes better than your tap water then you need to move!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was cleaning my canister hoses a few months ago with a long wire brush. After cleaning it, I had to get the siphon going again. I somehow forgot that the hose still contained a lot of lose black crud, and how fast the water would come out. So when I went to suck on the hose to star the siphon, I had a mouth full of foul, black, algae water.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I had a gulp once. The water level was too low and I cant make the siphon to work. So i sucked on it. Then water came too fast and hit the back of my throat.. and gulp.

At that time, I had planaria infestation as well. I freaked out like hell. Especialy a week later I had some sort of rear nose flu.. that won't go away with flu meds. Doc checked up on me and says I have some kind of allergic reaction.. he gave me some allergic sprays. I freaked out more, and start gargling and snorting salt water.

I hope those planarias have not make a nest inside my throat.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I had a gulp once. The water level was too low and I cant make the siphon to work. So i sucked on it. Then water came too fast and hit the back of my throat.. and gulp.

At that time, I had planaria infestation as well. I freaked out like hell. Especialy a week later I had some sort of rear nose flu.. that won't go away with flu meds. Doc checked up on me and says I have some kind of allergic reaction.. he gave me some allergic sprays. I freaked out more, and start gargling and snorting salt water.

I hope those planarias have not make a nest inside my throat.:icon_eek:
OMG! :eek5:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey, keep the discussion clean here! ; ) I was myself thinking that planted tank water is likely healthier than my tap water, until I started to read about Myobacterium marinum, aka Fish Tuberculosis. So it seems that swallowing tank water or getting it into cuts can actually be a real and significant risk to you, and we'd usually have no idea whether or not it is present in our tanks even. Not that I'm nearly as careful as what is recommended though.
Thanks for the link, i might buy coralife gloves now to protect myself

·
Registered
508 Posts
I dont even wanto read that, ignorance is bliss :hihi:lol

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Nobody ever go swimming in a lake? why would an aquarium be more dangerous? I read once about a little girl who cutted herself on the aquarium rim and the wound got infected by a bacteria in the water, did the girl die? I forgot, but this is a 1/1000000000 chances that this will happen to you. ( I just typed a couple of 000's, not sure how much chance you have to get it, lol, but its a minimal chance.)

Ok I should have read the article first. But chances are still small, certainly not big enough to drop out of the hobby right away, lol.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Your stomach should kill the bacteria. That's why I use a clear hose and buy one that's at least 3' or more so I can see it coming before it's too late!

I swallow dirty tank water and saltwater. I mean as long as your tank isn't like water from the stream that might have parasites then I would not worry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.