The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

my tank is 55g 13" x 48" and I tried the substrate calculator. I need 104lb to achieve 3" bed.

but what about the 1 lb of substrate per gallon to achieve a 1" bed or 2 lbs per gallon for a 2" bed rule? so I need 165lb to achieve 3" bed?

thanks for advise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The 1lb/gallon for a 1" bed thing won't work because different sized tanks have different height to surface area ratios. For example a 40 gallon long and a 55 gallon have the same length and width so need the same amount of substrate, but your formula you would need a few more bags for the 55.

The 104 lb is right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This has probably been answered, so I apologize... but I'm asking just for his benefit really since I don't use eco...

Anyway, does that substrate calculator take into account that some of weight in bags of eco is water weight?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I use 350 cubic inches per bag of E-C and 400 cubic inches per bag of Flourite.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
This has probably been answered, so I apologize... but I'm asking just for his benefit really since I don't use eco...

Anyway, does that substrate calculator take into account that some of weight in bags of eco is water weight?
Yes it does.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My 40 long is 48x13x16 inches. I don’t have a 55 but after a quick search I am seeing numbers like 48x13x20 and 48x12.5x21 I imagine some manufacturers might be ever so slightly different. So the only difference there is about 4 inches of height. But that doesn't matter, his point is that different height tanks (that are the same length and width) will take exactly the same amount of gravel even though they are different gallon-wise, like a 120G 4'x2'x2' and a 150G-XH 4'x2'x31".

IMO the # of gravel per gallon is just as useless as length of fish per gallon or wpg. Different types of substrate weigh differently (although they are sort of close). We are filling a volume so something like liters or gallons and cubic inches would be a better measurement of the substrate (like how Aqua Soil is measured in liters), not pounds. I guess this is one of my peeves lol. Then you would just need to know elementary math, and folks would not have to constantly ask how much gravel they need. I don’t know anyone who wants gravel because they are trying to put a certain amount of weight in there tank, rather than a certain depth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts