The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what 50g of 80 degree water (water change) woukd cost each time.

I am looking for a rough number here, just to give me an idea. I am in Ontario Canada.

Any idea?

Also, any idea if it's cheaper to heat water to 80 via a 300w eheim or using a household water heater?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Hopefully you speak metric.
The amount of power needed to heat a volume of water is as follows.

Volume in litres x 4 x temperature rise in degrees centigrade / 3412

So lets say you want to do 50g which is 190litre it would be
Lets say you want to go from 59F(15C) to 80F (23C) i.e. 8C
190 x 4 x 8 / 3412
=6080/3412
=1.78kW hour

You are likely billed in kW units, so just multiply 1.78 with the rate. If you do 50% water changes, it is half of that amount per water change....

Obviously it is a bit more complicated, Your tank may be at temp x, but after pouring in water at temp y the tank's temperature is now z. so you need to do a water change, and measure the water temperature before you start heating it up to work out what the difference between 80F and z is.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Wonder what it cost's to wash three loads of whites in hot water in washing machine, or four kids to take a hot bath (no fair sharing same water Ha!.)
Dishwasher uses a fair amount also.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just wondering what 50g of 80 degree water (water change) woukd cost each time.

I am looking for a rough number here, just to give me an idea. I am in Ontario Canada.

Any idea?

Also, any idea if it's cheaper to heat water to 80 via a 300w eheim or using a household water heater?

Without doing any real research or math here; I'd guess its cheaper to use your household water. Natural gas is typically cheaper than electricity. You're already heating the household water whether or not you use it for the aquarium; and you're heating a bigger volume than whats needed for your aquarium.

Reactions: Chibils

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I'm thinking if you use the eheim your heating the entire 50g. Using the water heater your only heating the amount of water necessary to raise the temp of the cold water you mix it with. Your water heater water is probably in the 120 degree range being mixed with maybe 50 degree water?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Any part of that water heater running through copper pipes with lead joints?

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Any part of that water heater running through copper pipes with lead joints?
There is a good chance that in any major city at some point the water runs through copper with lead joints. Copper leaching is not a problem. Those pipes have been there for at least a generation or two.
Water companies keep the ph and mineral content out of the range of lead leaching as much as they can. And it's pretty effective. Many houses built before 1986 have lead solder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts