The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use distilled water to cut my tap water to bring my in tank KH to around 3-4. I don't have a target for my GH but i am aware that it will go down as well.

Here are my tank specs with the addition of Co2 -
pH 6.4-6.8 it's hard to tell from the color chart.
KH 7d
GH 8d

Here is the tap water left out over night.
pH 7.6
KH 7d
GH 8d

I will be cutting the water for my 10 gallon tank. I heard it can be done but how much of each to use is what i need.

I will recheck my kH and Gh tomorrow after the has set out over night. Since it has been a while since i last tested these two.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Distilled water is going to get expensive quick. RO is cheaper than distilled to buy, and even cheaper to make. Use 50/50 and you should get kh and gh values about half of what you have now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here are my tank specs with the addition of Co2 -
pH 6.4-6.8 it's hard to tell from the color chart.
KH 7d
GH 8d
Remove 1 Gallon and and 1 Gallon that should do it. It might make your tank softer than you are shooting for, thats why i think 1gallon at a time. my tap water is 17 DH so i mix 2gal. RO w/1TSP ro right W/1gal of tap.. It just depends on your taps hardness In yourcase I think 1-2gal for every 10gallons... my KH-2 GH-3 PH-6.8 no co2

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just do a 50% WC adding back in 100% distilled and You should achieve a Gh of 4 and a Kh of 3.5. Your fish will be fine. In the future just do 50% Distilled and 50% tap for water changes.
I dont think it will solve the PH but it will help lower it down slowly It should be OK to make a big change like that without effecting the ph to an extreme where it could be dangerous to the shrimp. but you should check your Ph after adding 25% back in before adding the total 50%.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
it could be dangerous to the shrimp.
What shrimp? Nobody has mentioned anything about shrimp.

Either way, doing a 50% WC with 100% Distilled replacement will be fine. :thumbsup:

If You have any real concern: just add back a gal wait 10 minutes add the next gal, etc.

Swapping out 1 or 2 gals. at a time is going to take a lot of water changes and a lot of testing to reach your goal, and there's no point or purpose in doing it that way. Plus you are paying for the distilled. You can do this for $3-4 or $20-30--Your Choice.

With the numbers you provided--a 50% WC is going to put you right where you want to be. Doing it the other way suggested is going to have you running around in circles buying distilled water and doing tests--and the math is going to get harder and harder. Keep it simple: Take out 5 gals. put in 5 gals of distilled, then 50/50 distilled/tap.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I dont think it will solve the PH but it will help lower it down slowly It should be OK to make a big change like that without effecting the ph to an extreme where it could be dangerous to the shrimp. but you should check your Ph after adding 25% back in before adding the total 50%.
Wrong Post:eek5: ROFLMBO:eek5:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.