The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to order my pressureized co2 tomorrow, and I have just a few more questions please...

I've been reading everything I can to try and get ready to get it going when it gets here, and I came across an article about CO2 not being safe for the fish if it is a hevaily stocked tank. Is that true? Also it said someting about if it is a covered aquarium (glass tops) the co2 will form a layer in between the water surface and the glass and prevent oxegeyn from entering the water. I have to keep mine covered because of cats. lol Opinons?

Also, what is a good ppm of co2 to start at for my stocking? Should I start low and work up or something?

Thanks!

Stocking (75 gallon):
With Eheim2217

2 Angelfish
12 tetras
4 cories
1 dojo
4 dwarf neon rainbows
1 red tailed shark
2 botia striata
1 common pleco

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fish won't respirate enough in a day to significantly alter CO2 levels given how fast it gases off. That lid, on the other hand, is going to make CO2 retention very easy and it may not dissipate so well at night. The simple solution is to time an airstone opposite your light cycle. From there just treat CO2 as it normally would be; aim for a lime drop checker, and work at getting it to distribute well.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would add that when you first get the CO2 going, raise the level slowly, don't just blast it in, so that your fish can get used to it without any stress. I've found that if I turn mine up significantly all at once, the fish all freak out even though I'm not giving the tank enough to harm them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.