The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to order some neos off Ebay. They're some that resulted from yellows and reds being combined, so they're all kinds of faint colors.
I've ordered from this person once before, but I lost most of the shrimp due to a parameter spike. Said spike was caused by a swamp darter who kept killing pygmy cories and then finding out that he couldn't eat them.
The swamp darter has been removed, and I want to add more shrimp. I'm curious, how much bioload would 50 shrimp have? Equated to fish, that is. Maybe a one-inch fish per 10 shrimp? I dunno... They're supposed to have a really low bio-load.
I ordered fewer last time, so I'm mildly concerned that adding 50 shrimp at once would cause a problem. I was thinking that maybe I could keep some in a separate tank with an already-established filter stuck in there.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
50 shrimp added to an already established tank isnt a problem.

curious about the details of this tank. water parameters, substrate, fish, etc etc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There are people that keep upwards of 1000 in 20 gallon tanks, so I think its safe to say 50 in any size tank would be alright. If you are really worried about the bio load, you could try artificially increasing your current bio load by slightly overfeeding, or just pick up some sort of bacterial additive like Seachem's Stability.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank is a 29 biocube, 2" sand substrate, fairly heavily planted. I just did a water change yesterday and don't have the current parameters. The tank looks to have a bacterial problem in pictures (foggy water) but if you take a cupful of water out you can see that it's actually mild tannins and the lights just mess with how it looks. The tank's been running since January, so I think it definitely qualifies as 'established'.
Right now the fish are just one male guppy, two blue-eye rainbows, and four-ish pygmy cories. The rainbows are really tiny... They can't hurt the shrimp. I saw one persistent one try with some previous shrimp, but all it could do was annoy them, and it eventually gave up.
I had more rainbows and cories before the darter went hunting.
Hmm... Maybe I'll add a buttload of skeeter wrigglers to the tank as the extra food, let the fish have fun hunting them down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts