The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black Molly which was not doing well. I added Aquarium salt along with the melafix in a hospital tank.

The fish is swimming around a lot more. I added exactly what the salt direction said which was 1 rounded tablespoon for every 5 gallons.

However that is for a normal fish, I understand that molly can even live in a Salt water aquarium.

If the salt maybe it killing whatever is making the molly sick, should I add more aquarium salt and if so, how much more?

I also have a hydrometer that I purchased(but never open) for a salt water aquarium project. I would possible use that as well to measure a correct amount.

Thanks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes, they can live in a salt water aquarium. I had a black molly that just couldn't shake some skin fungus/infection issue it had. I treated a few times in quarantine until it appeared to be gone, but it always came back once treatment ended. I moved it to my salt water tank, and it lived there happy and healthy for 3 years.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they can live in a salt water aquarium. I had a black molly that just couldn't shake some skin fungus/infection issue it had. I treated a few times in quarantine until it appeared to be gone, but it always came back once treatment ended. I moved it to my salt water tank, and it lived there happy and healthy for 3 years.
So is there some kind of measurement I can go by with the standard aquarium salt product?

Double the dosage perhaps?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Half way to ocean water is 1 tablespoon per liter of water. You are about 1/4 or more of the way there, though a 'Rounded' anything is difficult to assess.

A hydrometer made for marine aquariums won't measure low levels of salt. I doubt it will show your current level very well. It might, though, and it is worth taking it out of the package and trying.

When adding salt for a fish GO SLOW.

1 tablespoon per 5 gallons is a lot to add all at one time. If the fish is OK at this level, give it a day or two to get used to that amount before you add more.
Mix the amount of salt with some water, and add it slowly over several hours. I would not add more than 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, not even a rounded tablespoon, every couple of days.

It might be that the amount you have in there now is all you need to add.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts