The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Footprint is 72x18 and average of 3" depth? Thinking about changing from sand over to AS for better plant growth plus the extra buffering would be good. I'm guessing 9-10 bags but shipping may kill this idea.

Craig

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Holy cow.

I just bought 4 9L bags of New Amazonia and had a hard time stomaching the expense.

You are talking about 63.7129048 liters (72"x18"x3"=3,888 cubic inches).

I spent ~$150.00 shipped to my door from AFA for 36L ($28 per bag plus shipping which was $12 for a single bag but less than that per bag as I added qty.).

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I actually expected more than that in terms of volume of substrate simply due to the water volume of your tank but the footprint isn't so bad compared to the total water volume.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I would still look very hard at finding a different substrate to put on the bottom (ideally something nutrient rich and cheap like MTS or potting mix) to provide the bulk of the substrate depth and then just capping with AquaSoil.

With a tank like that and as long as you have been around you should have the aquarium skills to make a mixed/layered substrate work. Unless you are keeping discus or really high end shrimp then it should be manageable without losing much sleep.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would still look very hard at finding a different substrate to put on the bottom (ideally something nutrient rich and cheap like MTS or potting mix) to provide the bulk of the substrate depth and then just capping with AquaSoil.

With a tank like that and as long as you have been around you should have the aquarium skills to make a mixed/layered substrate work. Unless you are keeping discus or really high end shrimp then it should be manageable without losing much sleep.

Only problem with a mixed layer substrate IMO is that when plants get moved around they have a tendency to mix the 2 layers together.

As far as fish I'm keeping Altum Angels which are much harder to keep then even Discus as far as I'm concerned.

Craig

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I move my plants around a lot craig and with a mts base with a sand blasting sand cap I don't have mixing problems at all. Even if I did you would never be able to tell the difference in color really. Plus it cost me about $20 opposed to several hundred dollars.
Thought about that route but with some fish that like to dig I really don't want the muddy mess that would ensue. The main reason for considering Aquasoil is I could do it in sections of the tank tear out a small section and replace and replant another few days or week later do another section and so forth.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered me 8- 9L bags of the New Amazonia Multi-Type Aqua Soil. It is all they had to work with as the normal type is sold out everywhere. Hope the 8 bags will be enough I wanted to order 10 but that moved the order over to freight charges which I couldn't see spending the extra on.

$349 for 8- 9L bags plus UPS ground half way across the US seems like a pretty good deal to me. As I recall the 9L bags weighed around 27lbs is that correct?

Craig

Craig

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im also acumulating stuff for a new 150 set up Ive used eco complete for a while now is ---whats the difference with new amazonia?

AquaSoil Amazonia is super nutrient loaded and will help keep the PH lower in the tank.

Craig

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Mine is shipping from AFA over in san fran.

Craig
Mine did as well.

My package (4 - 9L bags of New Amazonia normal) weighed 71 lbs. according to the UPS heavy lift warning label on the box.

That works out to just under 18lbs per 9 L bag if my math is correct.

Edit: if people could walk into a LFS and pay $28-$30 for a 9L bag of AS it would start to become very difficult to NOT buy it for a planted tank. $30-35 even for local pick-up would be bearable since Eco-Complete or Flourite at LFS have huge mark-ups.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.