The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 200w hydor inline on a 2217 right now running my 38 gal tank.

I am planning on upgrading into a 65-80 gal tank... do I need another heater?

The hydor website says its good for 'up to 55 gal'.... I've come to understand the most manufacturers specs aren't terribly accurate...

Im adverse to adding another heater for mainly space reasons.... I know I'll need another 2217 in there, but another heater as well is going to make it mighty cramped under my cabinet.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah, was just about to say the same- most people use 5wts/gl.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The heater wattage needed depends on how much temperature difference there is between the water and the room the tank is in. The bigger the difference the more wattage is needed. I have had no problem using a 50 watt heater with 40 gallons of water, but my room temperature is rarely below 65F. In my opinion it is much better to have a slightly undersized heater than an oversized one. If the heater thermostat fails, an oversize heater can cook the fish and plants, but an undersized one will just raise the tank water slightly too high - no problem. You probably get a slightly bigger range of water temperatures with the slightly undersized heater, but fish don't naturally see a rock solid, constant temperature anyway.

·
Registered
740 Posts
BTW, you are "averse" (as in having an "aversion") to adding another heater, not "adverse." (Sorry, I can't help pointing this stuff out.) Also, irregardless of being disorientated, I can still conversate. :hihi:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yay, one person said a small heater is ok... which means I dont need to buy more EQ...which means he MUST be right...:icon_mrgr

ad⋅verse  [ad-vurs, ad-vurs] Show IPA
Use adverse in a Sentence
–adjective
1. unfavorable or antagonistic in purpose or effect: adverse criticism.
2. opposing one's interests or desire: adverse circumstances.

a⋅verse  [uh-vurs] Show IPA
Use averse in a Sentence
–adjective
having a strong feeling of opposition, antipathy, repugnance, etc.; opposed: He is not averse to having a drink now and then.

I do believe that the words are nearly inter-changeable? Circumstantially yours is a hairs breadth more attuned with the sentence... but almost purely opinion biased....:sleep::sleep::sleep:

·
Registered
740 Posts
"The adjectives adverse and averse are related both etymologically and semantically, each having “opposition” as a central sense. Adverse is seldom used of people but rather of effects or events, and it usually conveys a sense of hostility or harmfulness: adverse reviews; adverse winds; adverse trends in the economy. Related nouns are adversity and adversary: Adversities breed bitterness. His adversaries countered his every move. Averse is used of persons and means “feeling opposed or disinclined”; it often occurs idiomatically with a preceding negative to convey the opposite meaning “willing or agreeable,” and is not interchangeable with adverse in these contexts: We are not averse to holding another meeting. The related noun is aversion: She has a strong aversion to violence. Averse is usually followed by to, in older use occasionally by from."

From the on-line dictionary, just in case you're interested (which apparently you aren't).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate you.

:icon_mrgr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts