The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many wpg on a 75g would I need to grow the following plants??

APONOGENTON CRISPUS
Anacharis
Bacopa monnieri [Moneywort]
Bolbitis heudelotii [AFRICAN WATER FERN]
Corkscrew Val
Crypt beckettii
CRYPT LUCNES
Duckweed
dwarf chain swords
Echinodorus uruguayensis
echinodorus vesuvius
Hygrophila corymbosa "Kompakt"
HYGROPHILA CORYMBOSA 'ANGUSTIFOLIA' - 7 stems
HYGROPHILA POLYSPERMA 'Rosanewig' - 7 stems
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (brazilian microsword)
Ludwigia Ovalis
LUDWIGIA REPENS
riccia
Rotala Indica

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It also depends on whether you have CO2 or not. With good CO2 plants need less light to grow. This doesn't seem right, but it means you can get some plants, that are not growing well with your low light, to grow very well, but slowly, just by adding CO2.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking to get t5's but more then likely will be getting t8's. I do have CO2

Currently I have a Odyessea T5 154watt, with co2. But was thinking that was not enough light, so was looking to get a cheap shop light and add some reflectors [hopefully t5's].

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The only way to find out is to give it a try. Sometimes you can plan to grow a certain plant and it will not grow no matter what you do or how much you spend.

Start out with your favorites and go from there. You might be pleasantly suprised then again you might be terribly dissapointed. The true test of a planted aquarium is your patience and presistance.

There too many variables in this hobby. For example. I did eveything possible to grow R. Walichii. Got growing it pretty good then my SAE discoverd it and BAM it was gon in days. That damned SAE is just lucky he is my oldest and bestest fishy friend or he'd be bannish to the netherworld. ;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Are your T5s NO, or HO? 154 watts of T5 HO would give your fish a suntan. I have 2 x 54 T5 HO, 6 inches over a 84g tank and it is plenty of light.

Are you thinking of adding the T8 fixture in addition to the T5? T8 lights wouldn't be bighter than a t5 HO watt-for-watt. It would be a step backwards in intensity per watt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.