The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a recently-cycled 5 gallon tank that will be the home for some Orange Neos in a couple of weeks. Thing is, I'm going to Poland for a week and a half and I need to keep it cycled.

I have some cherries in my 30 gallon, I was thinking I could take some of the males and put them in the 5 to keep it cycled - but I'm not sure how many I'd need? My population is kind of on the small side...

Or I can dose more ammonia and hope it lasts through the week and a half, but the tank cycle has been doing a good job clearing up ammonia pretty quickly...

Can anyone recommend either how many shrimp would be needed to maintain the cycle, or possibly another way to keep an empty tank cycled for a week?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Alternate ideas:
Put something in the tank that will decompose slowly (a dead shrimp from the grocery store, some dense fish food pellets such as Omega One Shrimp Pellets) that will supply some ammonia through the week. When you return, add ammonia and return to the fishless cycle.

Do nothing. When you return, add Nitrospira species of bacteria from a bottle. (read the label and do not accept anything else).

Do nothing. Add a small amount of (live) shrimp when you return, and trust the plants to be sufficient. Besides, not all the bacteria will die in just a week.

Put the filter for the 5 gallon on your currently established tank. When you return put the filter back and keep feeding these bacteria more ammonia until you are ready to buy shrimp for the new tank.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone!
I may just move the filter over to my 30 gallon to keep it cycled, and then check when I get back to make sure it's still doing its thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.