The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try keeping a few shrimp in my 55g tetra tank. I don't want a "shrimp tank." I just want a few for the sake of variety, and if they eat a little bit of algae or excess food while they're in there, that sure wouldn't hurt. So, what kind would you recommend, and how many for a 55g? Also, what about CO2 and fertilizers and such -- they don't harm shrimp do they? Is there anything I need to avoid using?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tetras wont harm adult shrimp, but they'll eat any babies they have. The ferts are the only thing I'd be concerned about. I'd recommend a neocaridina type of shrimp, I'd start with 10 if you're gonna try it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
co2 and ferts are fine in a tank with shrimps as i have mines in a med lighted tank with co2 and ferts and they seem to just keep breeding -.- if you want shrimps thats cheap and helps clean i would stick with Red Cherry Shrimps as they are cheap and breed like mad...

i have some i can let go of if you need some just pm me and we can work something out.... for a 55 gallon tank i say any where from 50-70 and i bet you they will just disapear once you let them into your tank... i have over 200+ in a 10g tank and they look like only 50 -.-

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i ended up with wild neo's in my 55, i had them in a breeder box with baby angels (pea size) and i forgot to turn the flow off and washed a few out into the tank. some ended up living and got fricking huge like a couple inches long. if there is plant coverage them there is a slight change they will make it but there has to be a lot of hiding spots/ground cover is great if fish cant get into it after the shrimp

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have Yellow neos in my community tank (basically a yellow rcs). They do great, breed like mad. I started with 9, they will eventually fill your tank, unless you are impatient or have very aggressive tetras. My lambchop rasboras and cpds ignore them, they like food they don't have to chase.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
easy answer based off what you said... shrimp.
I don't get your point. Are you saying that if I'm not doing a full-blown "shrimp tank" that I should not have shrimps at all? Or are you saying that something in my tank is incompatible with shrimp?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Smeagol i think you missed part of b's post.

"Id say your best option is to try amanos since you want shrimp to eat alittle bit of algae or excess food."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts