The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

When ordering/buying new shrimp how many deaths is your maximum before you start to get the feeling something is wrong with your water?

I've had two batches in my tank - one with four shrimps, which was to test to see if my tank was ready for shrimp. Two of them died and the other two made it 2 weeks so I added a second batch yesterday (30 shrimp).

Today I found one shrimp dead :( There may be more deaths hidden in my plants, but it's too dense for me to try to find them.

I don't know whether to be worried or just wait it out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
What kind of shrimp are they? Focus on oxygenation, especially during the night, water cleanliness, and hiding places. I had a single fire red cherry shrimp live in a 10 gallon full of moss by itself for a year. The tank had a betta, assassin snails, rabbit snails, and a clown pleco and for some reason survived longer than msot of my shrimp. On this tank I ran an air stone, did weekly water changes of 50%, and had tons of moss for hiding.

I will say that oxygenating your water is very important.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
pH: 6.4

My pH was pretty low for a bit (6.0), so I cut down my CO2 levels. My drop checker was also a yellowish green, so that too made me start thinking my CO2 was the issue.

I slowly lowered the bubble rate, but then another one died on me, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. All my other shrimps are acting fine. Too fine in fact - happily eating and foraging and roaming all over the place.

I think I'd feel better if they were acting weird - at least I'd know why I am having these deaths.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes, I don't have much surface agitation I just realized. That in combination with my CO2 levels probably is the cause. I'll add an airstone. And these are cherry shrimp, btw, sorry I forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Out of my starter batch of 20 RCS
I lost one weeks later, when I tried adding liquid Carbon.

My CRS I lost one out of seven weeks later after adding liquid Carbon.

No more Carbon for my Shrimp tank.
The rest are thriving

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.