The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 gallon tank at work with Anacharis and Microswords.

I had 7 RCS in it but one is in the process of having babies. How many can I keep in a 3 gallon without causing an issue.

Also, i have very small pond snails in there too, if that matters.

My water is perfect and the nitrates are less than 10

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 6-gallon on my desk at work with about 60 or so RCS in it. Not overcrowded at all, actually. RCS have a very low bioload.

And the great thing about RCS is that you don't have to worry about them overproducing. When the tank can't support any more of them, they simply stop breeding. (Smarter than people, in that at least...)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is cool to know

question 2, when they have babies, is it normally far apart? In the past 2 weeks I've seen 4 babies and she is still covered in eggs. When I saw the first one I sat at my tank for an hour trying to see others but obviously I had to give up on that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That is cool to know

question 2, when they have babies, is it normally far apart? In the past 2 weeks I've seen 4 babies and she is still covered in eggs. When I saw the first one I sat at my tank for an hour trying to see others but obviously I had to give up on that.
Usually all the eggs hatch within a 24-hour period. If you're just noticing new shrimplets, you likely had two berried females to begin with. (Or else, the shrimplets were there for a while and were just too small for you to notice.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well my shrimp must be different. She has been carrying the same eggs for quite a while, and she is the only female that I have. It's a 3 gallon and I only have 7 shrimp in it.

I have at least 5 shrimplets from 2-3 different batches and she is still carrying eggs. The eggs are still yellow so I don't think they are dead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.