The Planted Tank Forum banner

How many PSI should a full 5# CO2 bottle read?

15481 Views 24 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  m00se
Not sure what's up...I have a loaner 5# CO2 bottle and I just had it filled a couple weeks ago. When I attach the reg. it shows around 1000psi. The tank lasts less then a month. I checked for leaking but didn't see anything.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Plant Clown
4,737 Posts
Am I just lucky that I live in areas where Airgas and Haun have outlets? I've welded for 30+ years and bought probably 1000 lbs of CO2 in my life, in both Charlotte NC and here in Syracuse, and never had an issue. They take used 10 lb bottles and just swap them out for new ones for $18. They sell washers for pennies. I would never go to the trouble of buying an aluminum bottle because I wouldn't trust the local homebrew store to do me right. And I don't think Airgas or Haun will touch them. This is a curiosity to me.
Not sure what point you're trying to make. I think we're pretty much making sure the OP takes all the prescribed steps, and I think we agree that while it's possible the CO2 shop screwed up, it's not terribly likely. The purpose of investing in an aluminum cylinder has to do with aesthetics, which isn't a consideration for many, but is for some, and often has to do with not having enough room in a convenient hidey-hole for a cylinder. Do *I* mind having a 20# cylinder hanging out next to a tank? Nope. Do some people? Sure, and that's okay.

If anyone has specific advice related to this issue, please make it clear :)

· Registered
883 Posts
I wouldn't trust the local homebrew store to do me right. And I don't think Airgas or Haun will touch them. This is a curiosity to me.
I used Tyms after listening to the many on this forum praise them.

Tym, took my 20lb alu tank... said woah... pretty tank... then went to fill it.

And i assumed they would do it the normal way.. but no... they filled the tank... emptyed it so it was colder then the fill tank.. and refilled it.. This meant a lot to me... because this is how i read was the proper way to fill a tank... and my paintball fills were never like this.

Im not stealth type... i like to show my EQ even in computers... i would hate to have an ugly steel tank sitting next to my tank vs a brushed alu one.

But yeah.. anyone in socali area.. TYM's highly recommended... it came out to 20 dollars for a 20lber.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.