The Planted Tank Forum banner

How many PSI should a full 5# CO2 bottle read?

15480 Views 24 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  m00se
Not sure what's up...I have a loaner 5# CO2 bottle and I just had it filled a couple weeks ago. When I attach the reg. it shows around 1000psi. The tank lasts less then a month. I checked for leaking but didn't see anything.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll check again. I'll check everything from the tank to the reg. to the line to the reactor. The tank is steel...I'll weight it next time before taking it to the shop for a re-fill and again when I get home. I don't think I am being shorted...the place I go to is a very reputable welding shop...but then again, you never know.

· Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well...I guess I'm a dumbass...it was leaking at the connection between the tank and the reg. Some teflon tape took care of it. I checked it there last time when I first got the tank...maybe I had it threaded just tight enough then that it didn't leak right away though the CO2 only lasted a few weeks like this time. Guess a lesson learned. I still wanted to find out what the pressure was supposed to be on a full tank...for some reason I thought it would be higher. Guess I am just use to SCUBA and SCBA tank that have pressures of 3000 and 4500psi.

· Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has a nylon washer and it's torqued enough that the washer is imprinted from the reg. I don't know. The leaked did stop though. I really cranked down this time too so maybe it's just from being tighter, maybe from the tape, maybe from both...I don't know...it's not leaking now so that's good enough for me. I'll definitely get more new washers next refill...this one is reused from last time. This tank can't use a permaseal, I'm hoping my 10# tank can...I never looked. I am waiting for them to hydrotest it. Should be done soon I hope. There was like a 4 week back log on testing. That's why I have the 5# loaner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.