The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Well, after I got 10 more expensive tropheus, my dad says "No more FISH until the end of the school year." As you can see, he didn't say anything about plants. So I'm thinking of turning my 30 gallon breeder tank into a no CO2 required, light-lover's tank.

The tank's size is 24x18x18, the tank is large, but it gives the impression of being small. So I think it would be more suitible for plants instead:smile:

The plants I have right now are some lucky bamboo, and two pieces of Java mossed wood.
The plants I would like to keep are 1.hornwort, 2.vallis and 3.water wisteria.

If I keep all of these plants in this tank. would it work out, or do you not think so? If not, please specify why, and if you can tell me which species would be most apropriate for that tank.

Thanks in advance:smile:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think those plants would do fine in that tank, I've got them in my low maint. 20 gallon :)

Tina

p.s. Too many plants is when you can't see any swimming room and can't add any more water ;)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
The plants I would like to keep are 1.hornwort, 2.vallis and 3.water wisteria.
with enough light; hornwort and wisteria are weeds that will quickly become a nuisance that you will have to thin out every week. I suggest you study plants discussed on the low tech side of our forum that have moderate growth rates. please clarify exactly what you mean by "light lovers" since we need to know the total wattage of your fixture to advise you best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I wasn't specific about light. I have 3 26 watt lights, so 78 at the max, but more normally 52 I guess. Well, I just wanted a lush grow of plants and thought they would be good examples. Also, the Java moss doesn't seem to be doing very well.

I don't care if they're weeds, that's whaat I want to see, being dominated by plants as I did when I was keeping African cichlid fry!

And also, I'm tight on money, and though I love Java fern and anubias, getting a great stock of them would be too expensive. You can't get much from a 15 year old kid who just spend $70(Most of his pocket-money) on 10 fish!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay then, so it to be. I'll get i bunch each of water wistria, hornwort and vallis. The tank fauna will be Endler's livebearers.

Thanks guys. Right now I need some money, so when I get the plants and tank set up, I'll post again?

BTW: In ideal conditions, how long does it take for the plants to take over the tank?

·
Registered
235 Posts
giant hygro is another easy one that looks great.

here's a pic of my 30g with giant hygro, wisteria, java fern, and the odd other plant mixed in. The lights are two 18W flourescents with macros 2x per week and micros 1 x per week. High bioload tank too. Every week I cut back the plants halfway down the tank.

kara

·
Registered
803 Posts
How many plants are too much?
When your fish are plastered against the walls of your tank. ;)

In my experience, hygrophilas in general grow like gangbusters. I have four species at the moment ~ H. angustifolia, water sprite/wisteria, H. polysperma 'Sunset' and 'Ceylon'. They're usually cheap, too ~ really cheap when compared to anubias.

How fast do they grow? Well, in two months I've cut lots twice out of my low-tech tank (NO ferts, NO CO2 and dappled sun from a window ~ RCS are the only inhabitants and I don't feed them much) and it's almost ready for another trim. Thank goodness, because I've got two more tanks to fill with something! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys......Can I make another question?

In the long one, which is better, hornwort or anacharis? I guess anacharis would be easier to trim because my cichlids love it.....Haha

·
Registered
342 Posts
I love water wisteria. If it is a weed well so be it. In low light tanks they are not that bad and great at keeping the algea away. They soak up the stuff algea would use to grow.
Good luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like anacharis better than hornwort, it's not so "weedy" looking. Plus once you have hornwort in your tank for a while, you will be finding little pieces of it tangled in things months later.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I tried Hornwort once and hated it. Pieces of it all over the tank. I'd stick with Anacharis if I were you.

In low light it grows rather slow and won't get out of control on you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fish: Poecilia WingetiX4, Puntius NigrofasiatusX2(Hope this works!) Ancistrus sp. L-144X3
Plants: Java moss, vallisneria spiralis, anacharis, salvinia, lemna, water wisteria.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm starting out slow. With this!

Today I got 5 water wisterias. Here in the bag;

But something's funny. They have roots in the wrong places! All over the plant! Here's a picture to explain;

And them floating around; I must say, they're beautiful!

So I left them free floating until I get a reply. As I take it, you can also leave anacharis floating, right?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Leave the bamboo tops out of the water, they are not full water plants. As for wisteria, find the place with the most roots. The opposite side of where the leaves open up. Usually marked by a cut in the stem. Trim the roots a tad to promote growth. I have roots coming out the the sides of my stem on my Wisteria as well. Plant the Wisteria into the gravel. Do not press too hard and don't make it too shallow. Wisteria is a fast grower and sucks up nitrates pretty quickly.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Errrrr....Guys? What should I do? What should I do to make them planted?

I would plant them along with lots of other stem plants - any of them. Get them established so you have to cut half of them away every week to see your fish. Then, you will have something to work with and you will know something for sure. Do I like stem plants or not :icon_eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts