The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have 6 pea puffers in my 28 gallon cube. I'd like to add 3-4 more would that be too many? I have enough filtration for a 50 gallon tank. I also have 3 Oto in there.
Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious to know how the 6 do together in the 28 gallon. I bought a couple from my fish store a few weeks ago. I keep them in a 20 long. The lady at the fish store said I probably wouldn't want to keep more than 2 in a setup my size. They seem to do well enough, there was some chasing the first day but everyone has settled down now.

Fun little fish, but their small size in a relatively heavily planted tank means that I don't see them very much.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I kept 17 +/- in a 75 gallon well planted tank.

lots of little fights. lots of chasing. lots of breeding.

I think the trick is to have enough puffers to disperse the aggression and a big enough tank to provide 'runaway' room.

I would shoot for very low stocking, such as 1 per 10 gallon and lots of hiding spots
or, in a larger tank, at least 10.

In a 28 gallon with lots of spaces to hide, such as dense plants, I would put 12-15. and just feed daily.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I feed mine bloodworms, and occasionally brine shrimp. I also have some frozen krill, though I haven't tried it yet. I have three planted tanks in addition to the puffer tank, so I have lots of snails. I've been picking the snails out of my tanks and dropping them in for the puffers. I haven't seen them eating them, but I do see empty shells around, so I assume they are hunting them. I only feed bloodworms a few times a week, so they will keep up hunting the snails.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks dprais
I guess I could add more plants. What do you feed your puffers? So far mine will only eat blood worms
mine ate bloodworms, live whiteworms, live grindals and snails.:smile:
and shrimp:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.