The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a run to Petco tonight to pick up a CO2 cartridge for the big tank, but I also want to pick up some Nerites to give some life to my 10 gallon. What is the rule of thumb for how many you should put in a tank? Would 4-5 be too many, or can I go with more? I still seem to be having a bunch of Diatoms, but aside from that the Nerites in my other tank are awesome at keeping the substrate relatively clean and keeping the glass clean too.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
213 Posts
in my 10gal I have 4 nerites, 1 ramshorn, and 1 apple snail

you can also pick up a package of fake algae drops. if you think they are getting undernourished bust one of those up into tiny pieces and drop it in the tank

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Even just 1 will starve to death in a 10gal unless you are careful to feed it.

Fresh veggies are always a sure win. Just make sure to sink/hold them down near the bottom to make them easier to get to. And in a 10 gal, be sure not to let any uneaten rot in the tank, as it can trigger an ammonia spike.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even just 1 will starve to death in a 10gal unless you are careful to feed it.

Fresh veggies are always a sure win. Just make sure to sink/hold them down near the bottom to make them easier to get to. And in a 10 gal, be sure not to let any uneaten rot in the tank, as it can trigger an ammonia spike.
Well for now they have lots of little Anubias leaves that are loaded with diatoms, and GSA on the back wall of the tank. I have no problems feeding them if the algae runs low. So would you say 2-3 would be okay or would it be okay to put in more? If they really start to run low on algae I can always put them in the big tank which has plenty of algae for them.

When algae gets low in the 40 gal I notice they will eat the algae wafers I put in there for the crayfish, shrimp, and Rainbow Shark, would those be sufficient enough?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You can keep as many as you like as long as you feed them LOL

Watch to see if they eat your fish food, and always make sure you keep foods high in vegetable content rather than proteins for them. I've personally never had my Nerites take to prepared foods (I know they wouldn't touch spirulina algae wafers), but I know they'll eat fresh green veggies.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I picked up 3 little baby ones at Petco for $2.50 a piece. Tempted to go grab more, but last time I checked one was already sitting on an Anubias, so hopefully they make quick work of them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts