The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50gal that is moderately planted (I'll be adding more plants soon) at the moment I'm considering a school of green neons as a single species. That will share the tank with RCS and Apple Snails.

My lfs offered me a deal on 30 green neons which works out cheaper than buying 20-29 Should I take it? Or is 30 neons as a single species too much for a planted 50gal?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah 30 is not that many at all. I have about 27 in my 125 gallon but I also have about 40 other fish that are much bigger than neons.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Go for two batches. You might lose a few if they're newly imported, and 50-60 green neons is a very reasonable load for a moderately planted tank. A huge school of neons would look great, and they're very small fish, so you can have a lot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
About 25 to 40 would be a good number. More than 40 may just become a crowd rather than a shoal. I currently have 17 in a 20 Gallon tank -single species set up except for some Stowaway Malaysian trumpet snails. I am hoping to breed them.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
These are green neons which are even smaller than regular neon tetras. I would go with two batches of 30 or a lot of 50 if you get a discount on that. They are pretty fish, very small, low bio load per fish. If you keep up with water changes, I see no issue with that stocking. Even in a low to moderately planted tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts