The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering how many Neon Tetras could I add to a 20 gallon long community tank. This tank already has 4 albino corys in it and has quite a few plants. It's not fully cycled yet, so I won't be adding the tetras for a while.

Also I'm planning on adding a betta to it as well. As long as it isn't too aggressive. Or maybe start with a baby female betta. who knows. I'll definitely be adding more places to hide just in case though.

So yeah, how many neon tetras could I add in this tank with all the other fish?

Some photos of my tank for reference:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'd bump up the number of corys to 8. Then I'd add something like 20 neons. But I'd also ditch the betta, since neons and most corys like cooler water temps (72-76 F) rather than the warm temps that bettas need (78-82F). Instead, why not a danio species like the pearl danio? If you get the danios, get 10 danios and 10 neons.

I love the way your tank looks by the way. Where did you get those cobbles from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd bump up the number of corys to 8. Then I'd add something like 20 neons. But I'd also ditch the betta, since neons and most corys like cooler water temps (72-76 F) rather than the warm temps that bettas need (78-82F). Instead, why not a danio species like the pearl danio? If you get the danios, get 10 danios and 10 neons.

I love the way your tank looks by the way. Where did you get those cobbles from?
Hmm, i dont wanna have 3 different schools of fish in my tank. I sort of want 2 schools, and one or maybe two centerpiece fish that are bright in color. That's why I originally chose the betta.

And thank you! I bought them from Michaels. I boiled them just in case they had any bad stuff on them since they weren't from a pet supply store.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry, but if that a 20 long or a 20 high? Just doesn't look like a 20 long to me, but I could be wrong. Pictures can do funny things.

I think I would skip the neons if you're planning just two shoals. That's just my personal opinion though. They will work, but I'd go for something that swims higher in the water column. With neons and cories the top half of the tank or so would be a bit bare of activity. Again, just my thoughts and no reason you couldn't do it.

I'm never sure which species albino cories are and just usually default to thinking they are bronze, since it's usually correct. If that's the case they have a temp range from about 70-80F which gives you plenty of options still.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hmm...try looking for coolwater centerpiece fish then? I've found that I'm passionate about warm water nano fish...so I'm completely out of my league here! The only fish I can think of right now is goldfish...which your tank is not suited for.

Oh, and I'll agree with PlantedRookie here. Your tank looks more like a 20H than a 20L to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah! Sorry. I'm not very familiar with what long or high means. the dimensions on my tank are 24.5"x12.5"x17". I still have a little while for this tank to completely cycle so I have time to think about what sort of fish to put in.
What kind of fish tend to hang out at the top of the tank?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I would stick with the Neons and Cories, not add another species of schooling fish.
A specimen fish for the upper area, and in the temperature range of Neons and Cories (basically low to mid 70s).
Not really needed in a 20 long (not a very tall tank).

Bettas do not require high 70s, mid 70s is OK. However, mixing fish that barely overlap in their requirements is not a good idea. You would be walking that tight rope of maintaining just that narrow range.
When all the fish share a wider range you can keep the tank in the middle of that range, but not worry when it goes up or down a few degrees.
The Honey Gourami handles a wider range of temperatures than the Betta, including sharing the Neons' and Cories' range to the low 70s.

Just saw the dimensions of your tank- A 20 long is 30" long but only a foot high.
I think yours is a standard 20 gallon:
24" long (horizontal distance as seen from the front)
12" front to back
17" high (vertical measurement)
There are minor variations depending on which company made the tank.

You could put a pair of Honey Gouramis in this tank. They tend to stay near the top.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha ah. I just thought high meant it was taller than it is wide.

Are honey gouramis, or any other dwarf gourami, particularly hard to care for? Are they sensitive or are they more on the hardy side.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seriously fish lists these temps

Neon tetra-70-82F
Honey Gourami- 72-81F
Betta- 72-86F
The cories are a bit up in the air, but I listed the bronze cory range from there earlier.

Good overlap in midrange temps for all of them so I wouldn't worry from that standpoint. I'm not really a fan of having regular Betta in a community tank though, something always seems to go wrong from what I've heard (never tried it). Even something peaceful like neons have been known to fin nip them. I do really like the honey gourami suggestion though for a centerpiece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts