The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of starting a 10 gal planted tank with nano fish (such as CPD's, microrasbora, emerald dwarf rasbora, pygmy cory's, pygmy hatchetfish, etc.).... essentially picking three species.

My question is, as these fish have little to no bioload, whats the stocking rules here? It'd be set up as a medium-tech planted tank with CO2 (would be medium to high density planted), and a Fluval/Aquaclear 50 filter.

What are the stock levels you'd recommend (what works in your tank)?
Nano fish only please, examples here (http://www.aquaticarts.com/nano-tank-animals).

Thanks!

·
Registered
835 Posts
they have a low bioload, yes - however they also require very clean water.

I successfully kept 15-20 of the varieties you're looking at in a 10g.

I would go with 1 group of CPDs or Emerald Rasboras, then a group of Dwarf Cory Cats to complete it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Veritas! I know CPDs are recommended at 6+ (same with the pygmies). Have you noticed an optimum school size for these guys, or is it more the better if its within the stock limits?

Bump: Also, not sure if its too coarse for the pygmy barbels, but any luck with them on Eco-Complete (or similiar type of substrate)? I haven't scaped yet, but that's what I have on hand.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The more the merrier with the little danios/rasboras. Give them a few different "territories" to claim and you'll be treated to lots of movement.

I had zero problem with the barbels of Pygmy Cories with Eco-Complete.

Another thing I have found with my nano fish - they don't like a lot of light - and floaters are almost a must to get them to "come out of their shell" with shyness. They also absolutely love twiggy dritwood (manzanita is great for this)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I've been thinking about nano fish stocking for my 10g too. I'm looking at lambchop rasboras and pygmy cory, was thinking a dozen of each. But I am waiting for the plants to root before buying, don't need cory uprooting anything.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up buying the 29gal instead of the 10gal (Petco is having their dollar a gal tank sale- :icon_surp score!). Figured I could get away with having more variety (still keeping some nano's) and keep the water a bit more stable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts