The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the fourm from Ontario, CA.: I would like to know how many Marimo ball's Do I need in a 100 Gal. tank to control Nitrate level. At this time I have 4 baseball size and 3 golfball size. Nitrate level is running from 10 to 25. I would like it to be in the 5 to 10 range. The tank is set up with a Odyssea cfs 500 canister filter, 2 1600 Gph Dual head wave maker powerhead pumps, 1 Aquatop 300 Watt Digital heater. Ammonia "0", nitrite "0" . This tank has been up 1 yr. And I do water changes of 30% every week. Thanks to all that reply.:help:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply: jkan0228

Yes I know that marimo grow slow. At this time my work schedule has me working alot of OT, so I dont have the time to work on and support a planted tank. The Tank has a river theme; River rock, Mangrove root and no plants, only marimo balls. Thy need no fert. no CO2, no trimming. My Granddaughter call's them memo's. So I need a target # to shoot for. Thanks jkan0228 for your reply.:icon_smil

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't think any reasonable amount of marimo balls will alter nitrate levels. They grow too slow. If you had a 6" deep layer of marimo balls floating on the surface it might work, but they would die from lack of light. There are lots of other plants that would meet your low maintenance needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.