The Planted Tank Forum banner

How many languages do you speak?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another one of my polls that I think of when I'm bored...

So. How many do you speak?! Do share in a comment or something.

I speak English, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish

PS - Knowing how to say "Hi" in that language doesn't count ;) just gotta be able to have an average conversation with a local or something. :hihi:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I speak English, Spanish, and Chinese. What's really sad is that I know more spanish, than I know chinese. And, I'm asian :/

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
English, some Thai (conversational) , some French (barely conversational), some Dutch (was conversational but it's been 20 years). I'm from LA so I know lots of spanish words but can't actually express a coherent thought, embarrassingly.

The older you get the harder it is to learn more :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
English, Tagalog, Kapampagnan (different dialect from the Philippines) and somewhat Spanish

I put in 3 that I'm fluent in but you can consider spanish as .5

·
Registered
427 Posts
Two--English, and Japanese. I know I can hold a conversation in Japanese, because I was accosted by two girls on a late-night walk during my study abroad, they were thrilled by my (red) hair, and we wound up discussing Jpop for an hour.

After we parted ways, I sort of stopped and went, "....How did I do that?"

I probably couldn't anymore though, I stopped classes and have no Japanese friends locally haha

·
Registered
418 Posts
I selected 6+, but perhaps it should be 4 for the sake of discussion?

I grew up speaking Spanish & English, German as a matter of scholarship and Hebrew because of an interest in old family traditions (that was very light sarcasm) and French because it's still relevant to business, law & art (especially the arts) more than most Americans care to appreciate. I also seem to have a natural facility for it so it's not that hard for me to pick up and use conversationally whatever I'm interested in, in a rather short time. Once upon a time I had passable Arabic, Japanese and Russian but my abilities languished without practice and I lost interest. This is how I got hired on in just about every place in my professional history, they needed a polyglot or at least a quick study. It was especially lucrative being an IT professional in the 90's when this Internet thing got really popular.

But what about languages of Classical Antiquity? For fun and scholarly purposes I have done translations in Latin, Koine Greek, Ancient Egyptian, Anglo Saxon, Akkadian and Old Norwegian (which is basically modern Icelandic) and literary surveys in Persian.

I may have forgotten to mention I'm a linguist and Classicist :redface:. Sometimes I'll even go as far as to call myself an anachronist. Antiquity actually has more interest and meaning to me these days than all the over stimulation the modern world has to offer. I seem to be regressing through time, especially with my scholarship and reading habits. It seems to be getting worse as I get older. Oddly enough, this has been helped and intensified by my Nook which I think is the most treasured thing I own. I just don't make any sense.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow. I can only aspire to be that diverse. I remember being incredibly envious of the people at my study abroad university who were studying Japanese as their THIRD language... But I don't truly have the resources or energy to devote to the study, because I don't actually take to languages easily. Every word of Japanese has been a struggle, I can't imagine going after Arabic, Hebrew, and Russian.

You, sir, are really cool.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I speak English, American, and WVian. I'd love to learn German. I could possibly make a lot of money by doing so too. I am hopefully getting a job soon at a production company that is owned by a German group and they send sales reps to Germany on a regular basis, to my knowledge no one speaks the language. Someone that did would probably get some very choice assignments. For practical reasons, Spanish would be good since there's so many Spanish only speaking people in the US, and Chinese would be good for the future for when China takes over the US.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
For me it's just one. English. My wife speaks spanish. Pretty helpful for her since she was born in Cuba. Told her 25 years ago I'd learn Russian before I ever learned Spanish. Don't ever intend to go to a spanish speaking country so it's not a problem for me. And if my inlaws want conversation well they need to learn English. Could never understand how a person could move to another country and not learn the language. I mean how can you fully enjoy all that there is to a country if you can't hold a conversation in the language?
About the only country I could ever imagine wanting to move to would be Italy. Seriously doubt the Italians would learn English for me. And I wouldn't expect them to. I was conversational in Italian when a teen though. Made it fun when my grandparents thought I couldn't understand them. Until they found out I understood. Been too many years though. Barely remember the curses now.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
English and Spanish. I hope to be fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese one day. I'd say i'm more than 60% there with Spanish. Portuguese... not so much. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hmmm, English, Irish,Scottish,Canadian,Australlian... I may have missed a few !

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
... French because it's still relevant to business, law & art (especially the arts) more than most Americans care to appreciate.
Couldn't resist that jab, could ya?

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
"ごえわ" or "ごえは"? I'm not familiar with the term and google gives weird translations for both ^^; My japanese is also very academic, and somewhat limited in vocabulary, haha...

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
"ごえわ" or "ごえは"? I'm not familiar with the term and google gives weird translations for both ^^; My japanese is also very academic, and somewhat limited in vocabulary, haha...
Goe = vocabulary

I am functionally illiterate in nihongo. Kanji amari dekinai!

Chugakkusei mitai, Kono atama.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts