The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Kuhlies will not eat snails. You actually want botias for that. Botias are often called loaches at LFS's. Skunk loachs (botia) or clown loaches are really great for eliminating snails - they are amazingly effective and it is their favorite food. But they are a schooling fish so you need to get multiples.

I've found that it's best to get the smallest ones you can find, the younger they are, the hungrier they are. Once they start getting in the 3 inch size ranges they tend to be a little less motivated.

If you have a big infestation - just get a bunch of babies, and then when they get bigger, trade them in for smaller guys and keep doing it until the snail population is wiped out or where you want it to be.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dwarf puffers eat snails. I wanted to make sure the loaches wouldn't compete for their food source. Thanks for the info.
Do you know how many I can stock with my setup? I was thinking of 6. Would this be a large enough of a school? Without overstocking my tank?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have 7 in my 29 gallon with shrimp and Pygmy corys and other fish and I'm sure 8 or 10 would be no problem in your tank. They are most certainly only active when kept in groups and in a very well decorated environment - mine are out and about day and night, along the bottom or draped over plants or piled up together.

Just take that aqadvisor with a grain of salt, there are variables it does not consider.

Cheers

·
Registered
952 Posts
Agreed with mgamer. You can add a large group. I wouldnt just do it because you can though. Loaches do really good in large groups and are very inactive in small numbers. Kuhlis and dojos especially act very differently in large groups. They are much more active with scavenging and will even form large piles of kuhlis/dojos and fall asleep. Very fun to watch!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.