The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what size pump (gph) I need to be able to run water from my storage bin to my 180g tank which is about 60ft away.

I plan on putting a ball valve on the end so i can make it easy to stop and start the flow when i'm at the tank not in my garage (storage bin)

This is going to be a Discus tank so i want to make sure water changes are as easy as possible.

I know eheim pump are quite and good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the elevation change from source to dest?
the water storage is in my garage which is about 10 inchs lower then the rest of the house and the 180g is about 6ft tall.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You are putting the cart before the horse. :)

GPH is calculated by your need of a specific volume of water in the time frame of your requirement. So it is merely volume in gallons divided by time in hours. So if you wish to refill your 180G tank after siphon draining it by 50% in say 45 minutes (ie 0.75 hours) the desired GPH is 90G divided by 0.75H = 120GPH.

Once you have set the target GPH desired you take into account the TOTAL HEAD (elevation). This has 2 factors :-

1) the static height from the suction point to the discharge point - which will be within the maximum limit of the bottom of your water storage in the garage and the top of your 180G tank's water surface.

2) the friction loss caused by the total length of the pipelines and fittings through which the water has to be pumped. This is calculated with the help of manufactures charts and your desired flow rate. Every type of pipe (and fittings) has its own specific friction loss for a given flow rate. You will have to choose the diameter of the pipe you need from this and add the friction loss to the maximum static height to get your TOTAL HEAD.

After having determined the GPH and TOTAL HEAD you now have to choose the pump set which can deliver the desired flow by matching the specifications of the pumps available to the task needed.

Reactions: Clear Water
1 - 7 of 7 Posts