The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a species only tank with these fish. I found a source near me with many juvies for sale at a reasonable price.

How many can I keep in there? I will be doing 50-60% weekly water changes, and there will only be the one type of fish.

Also do I need a male to female ratio?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I want to make a species only tank with these fish. I found a source near me with many juvies for sale at a reasonable price.

How many can I keep in there? I will be doing 50-60% weekly water changes, and there will only be the one type of fish.

Also do I need a male to female ratio?

Normally you want to start with a group of juveniles and let them grow up together and then rehome some of them until you have a single male (in that size tank) and multiple females. Me personally with that in mind I would plan on a trio... as soon as one of the males breed there will be war with the other male. You may be able to get away with 1 male and 3 females if you are able to find a median between heavy planting and wood and ample swimming space.
I'd suggest 10 juveniles and see what works. You may be able to do even more females, but it's highly unlikely that you will be successful in a 4' tank with multiple males.
There isn't a ton of interest in Cichlids on this particular forum other than Rams, Discus, and Angels.
Given the cost you may be able to add the group at two relatively close intervals. Always add at least 2 fish and you may need to reorganize the tank and dim the lights. I'm going through a similar situation with Frontosa in my 125 gallon planted tank. I hope to eventually house a Trio or even 5 in a 265 gallon 8 foot tank. As of this point I have only 3 which were added at different times and I had issues for a couple days and almost had to move the youngest additions. Now when I add more I will need to find larger 2.5" to 3" fish and be prepared for issues. I couldve avoided alot of this hassle by buying 6-8 at once, but I didn't have the money or the availability at the time. It's an adventure... Cichlids are trying at times, but very rewarding.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Really only 4 eh? I was thinking like 7

Sizes vary depending on what you read, but they get to or a little larger than 6". They also do not tolerate other males. Start with 10 and rehome the ones that don't work out and see what you have left. I know that you can't put 7 6" Frontosa in a 75 gallon... that tank with 7 4" conspecific aggressive cichlids is not likely to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.