The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per topic. I have a low tech 75 gallon, planted with java moss and fern. 2wpg, no co2, dosing once a week with seachem flourish. How many fish can i add and maintain it at low tech? Current inhabitants are 5 tetras and 3 otos. Plan to add about a hundred ghost shrimp as well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ok, here I'm going to sound just totally "noobish" but I guess I've never really understood what people really meant about "hi-tech" vs. "lo-tech"... where's the line, really?

I guess... 1 - do you have filtration? what kind? a heater? I would put like... 8 angelfish in a tank like yours, toss in some guppies and call it done! (that's because I just did nearly that with a 45 that I'm wishing I could post pictures of...)

really, though... you could toss in 60 neon tetras... or 10 female bettas... or.. maybe 5 or 6 discus... or... 1 arowana (until he gets too big) or 2 goldfish (probably not goldfish)... or..

How chock fulla java fern and moss is your tank? covered from head to toe?

honestly, though, you've got a LOT of play with fish here.

! oh, just noticed you said you were gonna put shrimp in it... Maybe you'll wanna check into some gouramis of some kind? Dwarfs are colorful... sparkling are prized... Chocolate gouramis are apparently really difficult to acclimate - though I think that's mostly if you have to order them. A store near me had a few in stock last time I was there. I'd have bought them if I wanted some. :) but I don't! so...

yeah, it's up to you, man. :) This is probably one of the more interesting aspects of aquarium keeping... making the choices.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excuse my noobish reply as well (just look at my post count lol). If i'm not mistaken, hightech means all the works. CO2, ferts, high lighting, frequent water changes etc. Low tech simply means low maintanence. Just topping up water. Low ferts and lights. No CO2 as well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I suppose. I guess since I went from bettas in jars with just a bit of plant in to keep the water relatively clean for a week between changes to having an actual omg filter!!!! and then later a heater!!! to me this all seems pretty high tech. but it's a whole lot easier to keep fish alive and happy when you've got a filter and such.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.