The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 5 years of fish keeping, maybe more like 6 or 7, I have learned I am not as good as a fish keeper as I would like to be, first and foremost. Ironically, I have not had a heavily stocked tank in a long time, usually the root cause of issue, mine has been more from adding too many fish at once, excessive water changes (like 500% in one day) to kill algae, etc. I know there are many calculators and whatnot to tell me this but I really want to go off some opinion because I feel many members are much better at this than I am.

Info:
Tank Size: 20 Long
Real amount of gallons with hardscape/substrate: 15-16 gallons
Filter: Eheim 2215 (with 2217 impeller)
High tech, high CO2, high light, high ferts, etc.

I may add my 2234 Ecco as well since it's just sitting. I also plan to add some sort of shrimp, probably cherry reds.

Some of the calculators say I can go 25 or above. My LFS, which has really nice fish gave me a generous number of 75, though he didn't recommend trying it, he just says it can be done with success.

I am just wondering what a realistic number is. I am not set on having the highest stocking possible, I will stop before the max number if I am happy ascetically as well. I am assuming it will be harder to successfully keep and especially breed shrimp with a higher stocking level, let me know about that.

Even though I have been on the board for awhile, please feel free to treat me as a newbie. I have successfully kept guppies and bettas for years. My last go was Cardinals with was a massacre on my side, other tetra's, I would get a random death here and there, no pattern so I know I need to be more diligent, especially in neglecting my fish when I get an algae issue and am too aggressive with it.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
12-15 tops, then you have room to add some otos, amano shrimp, and possibly a centerpiece fish like a betta or a gourami
I doubt I will add a centerpiece fish and no Otos for sure. I will likely add shrimp, I am hoping RCS will not all get eaten, though I don't mind some population control. If not, I will add about 5 Amano's or so. Just saying that I don't need room for more fish. From what I know, shrimp shouldn't effect bio load to any real point, could be wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.