The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Depends on the difference in the water parameters from store water to your home tanks. The larger the difference the slower the acclimation and drip should be.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
I only drip if I am moving sensitive shrimp from one tank to another where my params are different. Otherwise, it's done in gallons per minute for the water changes. I match params of the new water to the existing, and then it's turn the pump on and go. It helps to have larger tanks, and I generally don't change more than 15-20% of the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I've been using it all this week. LOVE it. only 3g per hour, and you can slow it down by placing the water source lower since it only lifts around 30 inches. So in that way, it is adjustable from an airline stream to drops.

For the price, it can't be beat... or if it can, I've not found it yet. heh

·
Registered
362 Posts
I made a drip system for shrimp introductions. Just a piece of air tubing with an adjustable valve and a plastic large soup container (like you get from Chinese food delivery. I drip 1 to 2 drips a second for about 30 mins to an hour, depending on the sensitivity of the shrimp.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a drip system for shrimp introductions. Just a piece of air tubing with an adjustable valve and a plastic large soup container (like you get from Chinese food delivery. I drip 1 to 2 drips a second for about 30 mins to an hour, depending on the sensitivity of the shrimp.

That's pretty much my set up too. It would be nice to have one pump and a 5 gallon bucket and be able to fill a few tanks at a time. I'm wondering if I used a multiple drip controllers with that pump would it burn the pump out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
it just depends on the shrimp. when i got my oebt from DK a few years ago they did an 8 hour drip with a 6-10 drops per minute. i think something along the lines of maybe 4 cups. neos i drip maybe 30 min or so. i pour most of the bag water out and keep enough to cover them by a couple inches and the triple the volume. something like 1 drop ever couple seconds or so

·
Registered
362 Posts
I doubt it. Usual things that burn pumps out are clogs etc. Things that restrict intake. I imagine you can split the outflow up as much as you want without any I'll effects on the pump.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry I don't meant to take away the topic but may I ask if I move the CRS/CBS SSS/SSS+ shrimp from tank A to my tank B, the water parameter very similar (ex: Tank A: TDS 140, Tank B: TDS 130) both are water source. Do I still need to do drips?

·
Registered
274 Posts
For me, I had two tanks that were close in TDS, but a ways off in GH (7 versus 5). I would check the GHs to make sure they match before making a final decision.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
1 drop per 3 sec in first 2-3h.then 1-2 drops in sec for 1-3h.This is when you have 250ml of water with the shrimps.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Heck I drip nothing! Water changes I use a 1 liter pitcher and poor it on in until it is all changed. Heck If I could dump the whole 5gallon bucket in one fell swoop I would.

Also when getting new shrimp, I poor them in containerwater and all and add from the tank they are going in about half as much water as they are in. 10 min later another dose to make it a 50-50 of there water and the new water. 30 min later they are in the tank.

I never have deaths from either of these two methods, and have been doing it since a breed over seas told me they never drip anything they plop and drop

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I drip everything 2-4 hours, fish or shrimp. Call me crazy, but when I was in an apartment I would start the acclimating and then off to a movie! Came back and plopped them in the tank! Its better, because your not likely hover over the bucket, your mate might get curious, and the floor vibrations are not fun for the fish in the bucket. Thanks for letting me know about the 8 hour drip for tigers! Now I know what to do, when I get some Oebts!! I plan on getting culls, but want to try!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny how everyone has their own method. Since the answer varies so widely I guess it's safe to say that it really may not matter how fast you drip your water as long as what your doing works for you. I'm never in any hurry and will always drip to acclimate and change water. For the cherry shrimp tank I do dump the water in. They never seam to mind. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 23 Posts