The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a hard time finding a local seller of many of the plants that I am planning to buy.
So I have been looking at different places to order them from.
How many days in the mail is ok for a plant that is properly packaged until it dies?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered some from eBay still not arrived that's 8 days, I'm not holding much hope of any being alive, but would also like to know the question above

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I see your in Sweden So won't suggest you order from members here unless you find one close.The longest I have waited was 9 days and most survived but took some time to come back.They are very resilient if your patient and provide good parameters but it also depends on what plants your getting as I'm sure some take to traveling better than others...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If the weather is very warm or hot most plants won't survive long in a mail package. If the temperature is cool or cold, but not below freezing, most plants survive a lot longer. I once did an experiment with a selection of cuttings in different packaging, with all of the packages left in the back seat of my car for several days - I don't recall the actual number now, but I think it was 4 or 5 days. All of them survived well, even though it was fairly warm at that time. I did this to see what effect different packaging had. I had some just damp in sealed plastic bags, some wet with a tiny amount of water, some wet in wet paper towels, etc. My conclusion, as I recall, was that just putting damp cuttings in a plastic bag worked as well as anything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
Then it sounds as if ordering from within Europe should be fine for me.
Shipping from UK to Sweden is usually less than a week.
I might try to order one plant from China just as an experiment if I find a really cheap plant.

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
Do note that shipping plants across borders will likely require the proper paperwork to be done.

If you are attempting to order plants from other countries without the proper paperwork, it is likely a federal offense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do note that shipping plants across borders will likely require the proper paperwork to be done.

If you are attempting to order plants from other countries without the proper paperwork, it is likely a federal offense.
As I live in the European Union I can freely order from other EU countries.
Also looking at the EU rules about importing plants into the EU, there seems to be excemptions:
small quantities of plants said:
From here:
Trade in plants & plant products from non-EU countries - European Commission

But thanks for pointing that out.

Bump: ...Or maybe it's not worth risking to order from outside of the EU.
I can't find the same exemptions on this page:
http://www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishboardofagriculture/engelskasidor/trade/tradeinplants/plantsandplantproductsforprivateuse.4.6621c2fb1231eb917e680004156.html

·
Registered
113 Posts
Today I received a container with 4 plants.(all ground covers) They took about three weeks to arrive because of Easter holidays. Because I can't order them directly, I got a friend in the UK to order them from Germany and send it to me as a gift - making it legal (I didn't make up these weird rules) One of the plants is perfect and the other three look tired. I put them all in my tank and have crossed my fingers. Generally my plants survive because once planted I don't tamper with them :)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
@tapwater Hey there where are you based... It is horrible trying to get back into the hobby with our gigantic list of banned plants.
The shops all carry like the same 5 plants everywhere

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes - exactly! So forced to go the long route dabbling in foreign exchange and planting sick plants that have traveled the world. I'm in KZN sleepy hollow :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
My Hemianthus callitrichoides Çuba departed from Cuba to Germany to London to Africa. :) He looks exhausted

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
There are some sources for HC locally though from time to time.
My wife was from Durban originally....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I couldn't find any local ground covers. I also struggled to find shrimp. Finally found one guy who sold me some blue and red jobs, and another guy who netted me some ghost shrimp. With the ghosts he gave me a truckload of wild spinach plants. I stuck them in the tank and it was all eaten by the fish over the weekend. My tank is rather wild looking. I'll take a pic if those plants I bought manage to take. Where about in DBN is your wife from?

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
Because I can't order them directly, I got a friend in the UK to order them from Germany and send it to me as a gift - making it legal (I didn't make up these weird rules)
As far as I know, sending plants marked as a gift is not permissible - phytosanitary certificates are still required.

Sending plants in such a manner is akin to incorrectly declaring the value of items during import.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Emersed grown plants will last for 8-10 days.
Tissue cultured plants still in the airtight plastic cups will last few weeks as long as the temperatures are not extreme.
I have never had problems with Mosses and ferns. Had forgotten about some Java fern that was still in its packaging which was placed inside the cabinet. 2 months later it was just as fresh, when i found it when looking for something else.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My pet store guy said this was the way forward. It was marked gift and aquatic equipment with correct price. They are not invasive plants. If I followed the rules of certificates and what-not I might as well throw in the towel - and how do you design a tank when all the plants that are for sale are of middle and background sizes? Some of you have the luxury of having what you want at your fingertips. You are fortunate. You can actually do a tank as you want and put up pretty pictures. I have to make a plan. As a footnote I can't even send perfume with DHL by air to the USA in case it explodes and takes out a Jumbo. I have to send Dolce & Gabbana by sea which means I have to plan for Christmas in June :)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I couldn't find any local ground covers. I also struggled to find shrimp. Finally found one guy who sold me some blue and red jobs, and another guy who netted me some ghost shrimp. With the ghosts he gave me a truckload of wild spinach plants. I stuck them in the tank and it was all eaten by the fish over the weekend. My tank is rather wild looking. I'll take a pic if those plants I bought manage to take. Where about in DBN is your wife from?

The Planted Tank - Where to Buy

BetterWeather
Most items are out of stock but there are still a few nice plants..

Check gumtree for shrimps, lots of Cape based guys selling shrimps, I'd imagine there would be KZN guys too

·
Registered
113 Posts
:) The one tank is planned, and the other tank gets anything that floats. Is there anything in particular you looking for? I don't know the names of plants, or fish, or anything for that matter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts