The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many cherries people started with & approx how many do they have now. Also how long did it take to get to the current ammount??

How long will it take for me to go from 10 cherries plus a few babies to a good amount in a 75gallon long tank? Thats my goal. Just to see what it looks like :eek5:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Started with 12 and I now have 5....but im hopeful I have everything right now so my 5 will multiply.

Sorry I couldnt answer your Q.

Btw I saw a post by you on another forum, all I have to say is your better off away from that place ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I started out with 4 and now I have around 100 or so including all the tiny babies in my taiwan moss. I got them in November 2006. I may even have more than 100.

Your question, it depends on what kind of tank mates the shrimp have. I'm sure they'll multiply like crazy if you have enough plant cover and fairly peaceful fish.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently Just have them in a 5 gallon planted tank. I got them 1 week ago & already see babies around the tank. I didn't even notice eggs or babies on any of the females & believe me I looked. They are in there by themselves. I have a 75gallon tank that I am putting in the wall between my fishroom & rec room. I was toying with the idea of an all shrimp tank.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
started with 8. Now I have 1 or 2 maybe 3 HUNDRED.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I currently Just have them in a 5 gallon planted tank. I got them 1 week ago & already see babies around the tank. I didn't even notice eggs or babies on any of the females & believe me I looked. They are in there by themselves. I have a 75gallon tank that I am putting in the wall between my fishroom & rec room. I was toying with the idea of an all shrimp tank.
That'd be awesome! A 75g full of shrimp! I'd love it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SWEET. Bet that would fill a 75 gallon nicely.

Oh Oh another question. What other shrimp are safe to put with cherries?? Without cross breeding. The store I purchased these from had Tiger & long nosed shrimp. Would those be suitable??

·
Registered
324 Posts
If mine work in the 8gal I'm gonna try breeding a lod in a 40gal.

Tiger and longnose cant cross with cherrys but have different water requirements(im having the same problem at the mo im getting tigers).

·
Registered
383 Posts
I started with 20 (including one prego female) and it took a couple of months to see signifigant population growth. Nine months into it I had hundreds and every month the population seemed to expand. This was in a 10 gallon shrimp only tank.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I started off with 10 RCS in a 10 gal, but had problems with breeding. I purchased 20 more and still no. (I have no luck with 10g tanks LOL) So I put my RCS in a 55g and I now have tons of them, well over 200+ and it didn't take that long. In fact, once I put them in the 55g, eggs were no longer dropped and babies started to appear all over the place. I also house red-nose shrimp, amanos, bees and soon-to-be CRS. This is mainly a shrimp tank, but I do have ottos, cory pygmaeus and MTS in this tank. All get along fine. :biggrin:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started off with 10 RCS in a 10 gal, but had problems with breeding. I purchased 20 more and still no. (I have no luck with 10g tanks LOL) So I put my RCS in a 55g and I now have tons of them, well over 200+ and it didn't take that long. In fact, once I put them in the 55g, eggs were no longer dropped and babies started to appear all over the place. I also house red-nose shrimp, amanos, bees and soon-to-be CRS. This is mainly a shrimp tank, but I do have ottos, cory pygmaeus and MTS in this tank. All get along fine. :biggrin:
Sounds great.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I started with 15 in a newly set up 10 gallon tank. I lost a few in the first couple weeks, but they have been thriving ever since. I've shipped out several hundred shrimp twice to reduce the population and make room for new shrimp to grow. The tank has been set up less than a year, current estimate of numbers is around 50.

·
Registered
845 Posts
How long will it take for me to go from 10 cherries plus a few babies to a good amount in a 75gallon long tank? Thats my goal. Just to see what it looks like :eek5:
It shouldn't take you that long at all. If you have cherries that are sexually mature, it won't be long. One month, the first offspring, then others.... I'd say in 6 months you'll definitely start seeing more in a 75 g. Of course. given there are no predators and you provide the proper conditions. They breed like rabbits! Feed in the front section, that way they will come out and you can see them better and get a good estimate of how many you have.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.