The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 5 of so in my tank now, and they never come out except to eat, so want to add more to give them more courage. How many can I put in my tank? Want to keep total stock low as I love that I don't have to do much to my tank as it is.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's a lot! I called my LFS and they said if I get 20 they will sell them to me for $43.80 (2.19 each). Is this good? I honestly don't know. I have not bought fish in 2 years.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have 10 in a 20g high and it literally looks like I have no fish in there. 3 dz doesn't sound like too many if you really think about it. I added 2 male guppies and they now swim freely around the tank. All they needed was encouragement I guess lol

$2.19 is a good price. For some reason, most LFSs don't carry cardinals. None of the Petcos around me had them. All they carried were the neons.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The big box stores don't sell them either. I can only get them from the mom and pop shops. They are coming in tomorrow. How long should I wait before buying them?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know, my tank has been up and running for 3 years. I'm asking how long should I wait to get them from the LFS since I've heard that you should not buy them the same day they arrive.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Wow that's a lot! I called my LFS and they said if I get 20 they will sell them to me for $43.80 (2.19 each). Is this good? I honestly don't know. I have not bought fish in 2 years.
That's a good price for Cardinals - they're not too small, are they ? (babies ?)
They'd cost more than double that up here in Canada if around 1" or larger.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I know, my tank has been up and running for 3 years. I'm asking how long should I wait to get them from the LFS since I've heard that you should not buy them the same day they arrive.

Can you put a small deposit on them & ask them to hold them for about a week or so ?. That should be enough time to tell if they're healthy, and have acclimated well, with no signs of sickness.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Wait at least a week.

We picked up 5 Cardinals from the LFS, drove home, then decided we wanted 5 more so we went back for another 5. By the time we got home(15 min drive), 2 were DOA.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Never thought of that good idea! I had 3 more in my tank until yesterday when I had the bright idea of adding my 2236 not realizing how powerful it was. So in my filter I found 3 cardinals, 1 oto, and several shrimp. Grrrrrr! Stuck a sponge over it so that should help. Petsmart has otos on sale for $1 each so going to pick up 6 tonight and quarantine them for a week.

I called back the LFS about getting 30. She said waiting a week wont work because they get them in each week and they are all sold within 2 days. So going to pick them up tomorrow or Thursday and just hope and pray for the best

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
i always make trips to my lfs and watch new arrivials and come back in a week or 2 and then buy. that way i can see if they are in good shape. obviously i don't qt and i know my risks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i always make trips to my lfs and watch new arrivials and come back in a week or 2 and then buy. that way i can see if they are in good shape. obviously i don't qt and i know my risks.
I would love to be able to do that, but very few places here carry them, and when they do come in, they get snatched up in a few days. They are always out of stock. Petsmart gets them here, but they are gone the day they come in. I only have 7 fish in my tank now, so it's not much of a loss if they all die anyway.:hihi:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted to update. I pick up 22 cardinals today form the LFS that got them in last Wednesday. They were a bit smaller then expected, 1", but she ended up giving me 22 for only $18!!! Now with 23 cardinals and 12 pristellas I think my tank looks over crowded. Considering selling my 12 pristelas before buying 4 rams. I also have 2 bamboo/flower shrimp and 8 amanos coming Thursday. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
You have 22 cardinals & 12 pristella tetras, and you have flower shrimp & amanos coming in soon - I should think that should be enough for now - particularly since it looks overcrowded to you as is without the shrimp - forget about getting the Rams.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think even without the Pristellas I would not try 2 pairs of Rams. I've run a 46gal and I really don't think it will end up being enough real estate for both pairs to stake out their own territories. You might try a male with a harem of females... as long as you're prepareed to rehome some females in case you end up with a pair that won't tolerate others.

·
Registered
197 Posts
+1 on a picture

That might seem like a lot but seems like a reasonable stock. I think having just the smaller cardinals without the pristellas will make the tank seem a lot larger.

I also agree that 2 pairs might be risky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.