The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im looking to get either tiger barbs or cherry barbs for my 20 gallon. I have no other fish in there at the moment and was wondering how many i should get because i understand that its best to have alot of them to prevent bullying. So whats the best number?

The only other fish im looking to put in there is some sort of bottom dwelling fish, im not sure what yet so if you have any suggestions please make them, aslong as its not a pleco.

cheers dudley

·
Registered
888 Posts
No more other fish in the 20 gallons other than tiger barbs(if that is your preferred option) regardless of how many there are. They get aggressive and in a 20 gallons, it is easy for them to harass other fish species. Bottom dwellers may not be spared from their wrath. 10 of them should do it but you can't keep any other fish or risk having them bullied to death. I'd stick to the option of cherry barbs. You can keep 10-15 of them and aren't aggressive at all.

Cories and otos are good choices. Keep them with cherries, not tigers. You will never know when they will bully the bottom dwellers to death.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
gosh Blue, you really have it in for Tiger Barbs, don't you...
I started with 7 Tiger Barbs in my community tank, and only
had to remove 1 female that was getting harassed by 6 males.
now the boys play nicely with each other, and all my other fish
even now that my barbs have grown nearly two inches long.

cherry barbs are tricky to buy. it's not easy to find the
really bright red males everyone wants. try to cultivate
a relationship with a LPS that orders them, to tip you off
in the spring time when the males are sold at their reddest.

·
Registered
888 Posts
gosh Blue, you really have it in for Tiger Barbs, don't you...
I started with 7 Tiger Barbs in my community tank, and only
had to remove 1 female that was getting harassed by 6 males.
now the boys play nicely with each other, and all my other fish
even now that my barbs have grown almost two inches in size.
You know me too well, my friend.:biggrin:

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
cherry barbs are tricky to buy. it's not easy to find the
really bright red males everyone wants. try to cultivate
a relationship with a LPS that orders them, to tip you off
in the spring time when the males are sold at their reddest.
Most if not all cherries are at their reddest when given a healthy diet and good water quality... I bought some not so stunning males at PetSmart and raised them in my 29G for a month and they're quite red now.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I bought some not so stunning males at PetSmart and raised them in my 29G for a month and they're quite red now.
can you tell us more about the diet and water quality you suggest they need to get males to achieve their reddest? how long after you purchased them were they noticeably redder? perhaps they simply went from adolescence to breeding color display ready adulthood. I'm just trying to solve the mystery on why the same LPS will have schools pale red cherry's for sale, but only a few bright red ones in their not for resale display tank.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
The males were already mature.. I put the group in 10g quarentine tank for a week and they were mating already.. But their colors were still blah... And strangly, they didn't eat all that much.

After I moved them into the 29G tank, they started to brighten up and ate everything in sight. I'll post a picture of one of the males tonight to show you their color.. It's not the reddest thing I've seen but close. Of course genetics play a role in the redness but the environment also play a role.

You can see my signature for water params... And I feed them a varied diet of color flakes (omega one), freeze dried critters, and frozen glassworms.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
here they are..
not too bad for LFS genetics

and the females don't look half bad either.

I've had much deeper red males before and I'm kicking myself for not breeding them but that was when I was inexperience and didn't know what I was doing.
I can't find the really deep red cherry barb anywhere now.. I'll have to check aquabid or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts