The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and to the planted tank scene. I have a 55g and I've chosen to go with eco-completer substrate. I've been doing a lot of research and there's a few things I'm not clear on. I know I need about 3" inches ideally and I've seen the 20lb/10g rule, but is that enough to reach a 3" depth with 6 bags. I found a substrate calculator that said I needed 160 something lbs. but that's more than the rule of thumb calls for. So if anybody could help clear the confusion then that woul be awesome. Thanks everyone for any help or advice.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I would go with 4-5 bags of eco-complete (80-100 lbs) and see where you're at. If you get 4 bags and need a bit more, you can always fill it with a few more lbs of something else (having 80-90% eco-complete vs having 100% is no difference). Or you can just get 5 bags and I think that'd make you set for sure. Even 4 bags sounds like it could be enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. Would it be ok to mix with regular aquarium gravel or do I need to mix it with something else made for planted tanks? The reason I ask is because I've thought about adding a bag of the red eco-complete just to add a lil color but they don't carry the red where I'm buying from. What would be a good addition if I need more?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.