The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not as a grow out tank, but as their permanent forever home...
It will also be a community tank, with a school or tetra's and corydoras. And possibly hatchets if I feel like it..
I asked about this with a 36 gallon, but I hated the filter on that package....
So now I'm buying it all separately.... and thought.. why not go a little bigger?
I was advised 1 or 2 on the 36, but a week later someone asked the same exact question. And they were advised to not get any..
So now I'm asking you again lol...
How many angels can I have in a 46 gallon?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Permanent and forever home I think I'll always post the same answer.
1 adult for each 15 gallons of listed tank volume.
29g - 2
55g - 4
75g - 4 to 6

46g tank if you house three and a pair forms one will be abused so I would select two.

HTH

·
Registered
757 Posts
46g tank if you house three and a pair forms one will be abused so I would select two.

HTH
+1 - when I had 5 in a 72bow, two pairs formed - the "odd man out" was miserable when both pairs were spawning.

If you are buying adults you might know male/female and make sure you get all males or all females, then 3 would be OK.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would buy 3 or 4 juveniles with the intention of actually ending up with one solid pair, but I would not have mid dwelling like tetras cramming up the middle and bothering the angels and would only stick to top or bottom dwellers as tank mates.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would buy 3 or 4 juveniles with the intention of actually ending up with one solid pair, but I would not have mid dwelling like tetras cramming up the middle and bothering the angels and would only stick to top or bottom dwellers as tank mates.
What am I supposed to do with the other two?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I agree. For a grow-out, you can probably do okay with four. Once they pair up, I'd keep one pair and find a new home for either the two odd ones out, or the second pair, depending on how lucky you are.

Also when you pick tank-mates make sure that you don't pick any fish that are either fin nippers or too similar to angels. I've heard no gouramis, no tetras, no barbs, no cichlids, no mollies.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. For a grow-out, you can probably do okay with four. Once they pair up, I'd keep one pair and find a new home for either the two odd ones out, or the second pair, depending on how lucky you are.

Also when you pick tank-mates make sure that you don't pick any fish that are either fin nippers or too similar to angels. I've heard no gouramis, no tetras, no barbs, no cichlids, no mollies.
I don't really have anywhere to rehome them... All my LFS have contracts with large breeders... No one here would even think of buying or taking in a "used" fish... And I don't have room or money for another tank.. Thats sort of why I said that this would not be a grow out tank...

Also... I've only ever seen them housed with tetra's... I was going with glowlight tetra's

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
You might find a local to take them off your hands when the time comes.

Nobody can say with certainty how many will live peacefully in a tank. I have 6 in my 90g and I can see that will have to be changed pretty soon. You can get by with one aggressive fish but with two there will be some carnage.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't really have anywhere to rehome them... All my LFS have contracts with large breeders... No one here would even think of buying or taking in a "used" fish... And I don't have room or money for another tank.. Thats sort of why I said that this would not be a grow out tank...

Also... I've only ever seen them housed with tetra's... I was going with glowlight tetra's
you can give extra fish away using online classifieds, I've had no problem doing this with the various cichlids I've kept - people love free stuff. You can do tetras, I just don't like cramming up my cichlids space in limited size tanks, so in a case like yours I'd be more inclined to go with say, hatchets up top and catfish down below.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Permanent and forever home I think I'll always post the same answer.
1 adult for each 15 gallons of listed tank volume.
29g - 2
55g - 4
75g - 4 to 6

HTH
I see you recommend 2 for a 29 gallon. Would you feel comfortable with 2 plus some dither fish ( cardinals, rasboras etc. ) ?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I had 2 in my 46g and they seemed OK until I took one out for a bit to treat it. When I returned it, it was almost killed by the other Angel who claimed the whole tank so I had to house it with my 5 Pinoy wide fins in my 75g. It still gets bullied a bit, but not bad. That tank has 10 black neons, 2 Oto's, 8 ghost shrimp and 5 Amanos.
My 46g has a bunch of Platys, 1 Plakat, and 2 Amano's and a bunch of RCS. The Angel loves the Plakat now. They take turns chasing each other even though the Angel is 5 times the Plakat's size.
I digress. I think two young ones that grow up in there should be good as long as there is hardscape and plants to hide in occasionally.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Hey Shane,
Nearly all my tanks are angel dominate. Meaning angels and otto's, bottom tank cleaners like Kuhli, Clown (in larger tanks), Gold Dojo, Corie, Ancistrus and such.

Larger tetra have been added in the past along with Beta in planted tanks without problems and the male beta's always lived to old age fine in my tanks, actually use to keep one in each tank for color because my daughter liked them. Beta and angels were never an issue here.

Currently in a 29g I have 2 adult angels (pair), 2 cory, 3 juvenile LFBN honestly the tank looks empty at time. Smaller fish, 4-6 maybe even 8 of the larger tetra's or 4 hatchets would probably brighten the tank. Here I'm content knowing the pair will breed sooner or later and for 6-8 weeks the tank will be very busy.

OP, select two nicely shaped angels (veils are my choice) and hope for males. All male tanks are the best if you're not wanting to deal with breeding. Even with all females at times the tank will be a PITA. With all males you have no drama 99% guaranteed.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but hijack it anyway LOL Dude if you pull the bully fish overnight putting him in a bucket of tank water then trim a little, move a rock or two then put them both back in or add the bully behind the other fish odds are the fighting is over.
Also 4:1 odds the bully is a female.:icon_wink

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm gonna go for two really nice koi angels... or maybe a marble and a koi... I was looking at alot of different breeders.. still deciding... this tank wont even be ready for angels until january. There is one LFS that might take my angels... but I would feel terrible helping support them... The other LFS might take some juveniles off my hands if they do pair up and breed.... But only if they looked real nice...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd find a new home with local classified. Also, you could try to find a local aquarium club.

Best of luck wit them!

Finally: do people have an opinion on sword tails with angels? I'm gearing up to get angels, and was planning on having sword tails along with them.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd find a new home with local classified. Also, you could try to find a local aquarium club.

Best of luck wit them!

Finally: do people have an opinion on sword tails with angels? I'm gearing up to get angels, and was planning on having sword tails along with them.
I really don't like giving up animals once I get them.. weird brain thing with me... So I think I will just go with two....
I've seen them housed together a couple times..

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Sword tails and other live bearers create problems for angels but you'll need to Google for the reasoning behind that fact as it's years back that I quit stocking them together. Something to do with bacteria normally carried by them creating issues that angels encounter when kept in a tank with them.

The slate I used was eastern states mined from North Carolina I believe. Natural slate cut 12x12x1/4" marketed for flooring at either Home Depot or Lowes. Testing it included a shattered piece soaking in a bucket of water for a month not seeing any parameter problems. Currently in tank for >2yrs so I see it as safe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.