The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, on average, about how many angel fish could be kept in a 110G tank? I know, depends on their size, how much filters & son on. I have 11 pretty big ones in it now & am thinking of getting a few more.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'd say you're maxed at 11 right now, considering that angels can get pretty sizable. I'm sure I read somewhere you want about 29 or so gallons per angel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had all these fish in a 75G tank before upgrading to the bigger one. All went well with it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'd give 10 gallons per one adult angel fish. man a 110 with 11 angel fish is over stock by the time you add plants,substrate,and driftwood.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I would not house more than 10 adult Angels in a 110. But that is me. Even if you are over filtering your tank Angels are cichlids and they are aggressive.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Based on tank volume 1 angel for every ten gallons is the standardized guide. My experience with adults establishing in breeding pairs is less. I have an active breeding pair in a 55g standard size tank that they claimed the whole tank so I removed the other fish as the male was the largest in the tank and a brute. Nobody else made it out of the corner with a spawn in play. In two 75g tanks I have 4 and 6 adults housed respectively with minimum aggression issues. I think the depth of the tank adds enough space for a pair not to feel boxed in. In my 110g I have 10 F1 DDV semi adults with breeding beginning last month. Fully planted with angels always my primary species I can see dropping this tank down to 8 fish transferring 2 out to another set up. As adults the 10g per fish rule (IMO) is over crowding yet I see it posted all over the web.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I'd say you're maxed at 11 right now, considering that angels can get pretty sizable. I'm sure I read somewhere you want about 29 or so gallons per angel.
29g is the minimum tank size for a pair (or even a single). Housing an angel in a smaller tank is always trouble sooner or later.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I currently have 8 in my 100 gal tank, they have all grown from dime size to almost 3" body only length. The problem I see is not really space but aggression. I now have 3 breeding pairs and everytime a pair spawns they claim half the tank. They still have plenty space but I think my 8 are a stretch. I guess when they reach full size I will only keep 6 and all same sex. Only other fish are dither schooling fish (right now only 4 hatchets but plan to up that to 10), a small pleco and a group of 6 corys

If they are small and haven´t sexually matured I guess you can grow them for awhile. At some point I had 10 and it was too much. I lost 2 when the tank broke

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are all pretty much full grown. I think there is only 2 or 3 females in the group. Not a week after putting them in the new tank 2 of them laid eggs. I have yet to be successful at raising them from eggs.

Here is the 75G

Some of the angels:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Nice, in a well planted tank you can keep more, also depends on the type of angels, breeding pairs get very agressive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts