The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon planted tank that has recently finished cycling. The tank is lit 10 hours a day by 34 watts of LED lighting, is kept at 78 degrees and has a neutral pH. Unfortunately, a bunch of thread algae has started to take over and I'm worried it will inhibit my plant growth. I was thinking of getting some amano shrimp to help control the algae. I currently have 3 kuhli loaches, 2 corys, 9 neons, 1 honey gourami and 1 vampire shrimp. Will amanos do well in this tank? How many amanos can I fit in this tank [if any] and how much will they help control the thread algae? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Less light (amount and length), more filter cleanings, more substrate cleanings, proper fertilizer dosing, manual removal of algae / old / dying leaves / organic material, more water changes, ensuring proper CO2 levels, Excel / Metricide -- spot dose, tank dose, plant dips, oh! And 10-15 Amano shrimp ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I already dialed down the lighting to 6 hours a day and did a water change, but the thread algae is very hard to remove manually. I have a thick substrate layer with a lot of clay fertilizers, but I'm not going to add any CO2 to the tank... oh, and i bought just 3 Amano cuz I'm worried more would overstock my tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts