The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
how many almond leaves should I use per 10 gallons of water?

I have a 40B and i see that people have 5 or more in a 10G
A lot depends upon the IAL in question. I got some from a person on here recently that have a ridiculous amount of tannins in them. Obviously that is the objective but I was shocked by the sheer amount of the tannins. One leaf turned a tank darker than any piece of driftwood I have ever seen has.

A similar sized leaf that I got at an LFS didn't seem to discolor the water at all. Both were dried leaves but one was obviously a lot fresher and of higher quality than the other. The shrimp seem to love both.

I would definitely soak them over night just to clean them off and see how fast they are going to leech tannins. If they leech much then just start with one leaf and add a new one every couple of days if you still feel the need.

I actually had to put purigen in my 16G so that I could see inside of it again. I normally don't care about tea water tanks but I had babies in there that I wanted to observe for fun so I had to clear up the water a bit.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
There are a bunch of claims about Indiana almond leaves, but I don't know how many of them have been tested in any sort of rigorous way. For certain they release tannins into the water and can change the hardness and pH of the water as a result (in the same way that peat can.) They are also a place for bacteria to grow, which shrimp love to eat.

Supposedly they have all sorts of antibacterial and antifungal properties as well, but again, I don't know whether this has been tested in any sense other than people using them and noticing that they have fewer deaths/less disease, or people using them when they have sick fish/shrimp and the animal recovers. If it's the latter it's really not particularly useful, as those sorts of things are very very prone to logical errors (confirmation bias primarily.) Unfortunately nearly everything we have is based on those sorts of anecdotes...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't doubt it, but I'm wondering whether there are any studies showing whether the water conditions created by these leaves in an aquarium at the concentrations typically created by hobbyists are either curative or preventative in shrimp and/or fish. There may well be such a study; I won't even pretend to have looked for it.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
lol, I'm sure there are studies about it. Thailand, Vietnam, China, Singapore... they all have ecology programs in universities which study things like this. I know for a fact that betta breeders use it to prevent the common betta diseases in their breeding jugs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.